PDA

View Full Version : Trying out Win 7 RC, cant get it to install

hardyn
July 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I get the point of expanding windows files, and...

windows cannot find required files...

I have reburned a few times (changing media brand), checked the download MD5. I am trying an upgrade of my vista partition. Anybody else had any similar experiences? Something with my particular setup? or is the RC installer just plain broken?

Thanks in advance.

Swarms
July 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Have you turned the burning speed down? It will minimize the risque of burning errors. Plus, try to download the RC again.

LowSky
July 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM
the RC of 7 cant be used to upgrade vista, sorry cant be done

starcannon
July 12th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Make sure the checksums match.
As suggested try burning at a slower speed.
Be sure to check this page out:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/installation-instructions.aspx
This page may be of use as well:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/faq.aspx
If you end up liking it enough you want to keep it, start saving up the 250 clams that they will likely want for the full featured version.

GLAHF

Edit:
Oh yeah, and I'd probably take a look at joining these forums:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/GettingReadyforWindows7/threads?filter=answered

monsterstack
July 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM
the RC of 7 cant be used to upgrade vista, sorry cant be done

Aye, Microsoft recommend a full nuke before installation of the RC. Back up your Vista data and go for it. It'll be known as The Great Reformat of 2009. :)

hyperdude111
July 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Try it on another machine. I was trying to install Windows 7 RC on my dads pc but always had this problem, even though the same cd had been used to install to 2 other computers as well.

I think it is some compatibility issue, My dads machine is a Dell Dimension 4400 (a very old machine).

I tried loads o methods and the only thing that worked was to install to his hard drive by plugging it into my machine then when it tried to re-boot I would turn it off and move the harddrive back to his machine. But even after this his ethernet drivers were not working.

I doubt any amount of re-burns and re-downloads will help If you have the same problem I had.

Good Luck.

Giant Speck
July 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Are you trying to upgrade Vista to 7 RC1 or are you trying to install 7 RC1 over Vista?

Because you cannot do the former; you must do the latter. If you choose to install over Vista, it will move all of your files and programs into a folder called Windows.old, which you will be able to find in your C:\ drive after the installation is completed.

Also, where did you download it from? Maybe you got a faulty ISO.

hardyn
July 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
A clean install worked; so nothing wrong with the media... thanks for the help

What i should have done was check the compatibility of the ext3 IFS driver before doing this though, doh!

Skripka
July 13th, 2009, 09:31 PM
A clean install worked; so nothing wrong with the media... thanks for the help

What i should have done was check the compatibility of the ext3 IFS driver before doing this though, doh!

The Ext3 driver DOES work-but you MUST install it in XP compatibility mode-you also MUST manually set your drive mount letter on every new boot.

hardyn
July 14th, 2009, 12:14 AM
give that a try, thanks.