PDA

View Full Version : Streaming US Television

Speed8
July 12th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Noob Question. Anyone know any good sites or programs to watch channels like ABC, Fox, Comedy Central ect. I live in Germany now and the sites like Hulu.com do not work over here and would like to watch some american tv without torrenting everything. I have found a few sites just from google but most of them have very limited channels and most are from china or other countries. Any ideas?

boon4376
July 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
watch hulu through an american proxy?

Does germany just block the website?

Speed8
July 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I've tried using Proxys but every one i try hulu gives me a message saying something like "It appears that you are using an anonymous proxy, If you are outside the United States you cannot view this content and if you are inside the United States please disable the Proxy"

Do you know of any good proxys? I've just googled "Proxy Lists" and used the first link but i've tried plenty of them and no success.

boon4376
July 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM
http://www.clickfornick.com/tvonline/2008/09/how-to-watch-hulu-outside-the-usa-watch-hulu-in-europe.html

Seen this?

sydbat
July 12th, 2009, 07:07 PM
watch hulu through an american proxy?

Does germany just block the website?Germany does not block anything...the blockage originates in the US at the source. Yet another example of the "if you are not physically in the US, you cannot enjoy it" kind of thinking that the rest of us (about 6 billion or so) are getting tired of...

HappyFeet
July 12th, 2009, 07:07 PM
channelsurfing.net is a great site for watching TV. But I have to use XP in virtualbox because you need Silverlight.

vinutux
July 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM
channelsurfing.net is a great site for watching TV. But I have to use XP in virtualbox because you need Silverlight.

Silverlight is availabe linux in the form of Moonlight

http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

HappyFeet
July 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Silverlight is availabe linux in the form of Moonlight

http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

But I also use sopcast which is a pain in the butt to get going in linux.

Giant Speck
July 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM

I clicked on some of the stream links on that website, and they worked just fine. And I don't have moonlight installed.

HappyFeet
July 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Btw, I just tried Moonlight, and it does not help. Damn!

Edit: some channels are working, but not others. I'll have to try the non-working ones in windows to be sure.

vinutux
July 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
But I also use sopcast which is a pain in the butt to get going in linux.

yeh moonlight is not perfect as silverlight............but still there is a hope..........thatz it

HappyFeet
July 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
yeh moonlight is not perfect as silverlight............but still there is a hope..........thatz it

But I now get all the Major League Baseball games. Hopefully The NFL games will work once pre-season starts. I don't have anything against using XP in virtualbox, but I like to do as much as possible in linux.

Has anyone gotten sopcast to work in linux?

Closed_Port
July 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
But I now get all the Major League Baseball games. Hopefully The NFL games will work once pre-season starts. I don't have anything against using XP in virtualbox, but I like to do as much as possible in linux.

It has actually gotten pretty easy. Take a look at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/

And I think the author of this little beauty is even a member of this forum.

jonian_g
July 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Of course. I've been using it for more than 1 year with gsopcast.
And now I converted to sopcast-player.

If you want a good website with sports and sopcast channels, try www.myp2p.eu (http://www.myp2p.eu)

Dimitriid
July 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
To me the choice can't be more simple: This US channels and services are blocking me for actually watching their product along with commercials, a.k.a. their revenue source, because they want to arbitrarily delay the programing 6 months - 1 year before it reaches my country.

The language excuse does not work since I'd like to think I am a proficient english speaker ( bear in mind that I have never taken a single english lesson in my life: im 100% self-taught ) so I do not need to wait for a dub or even subtitles. They either can win my business by making the shows available abroad ( yes because I'd be willing to pay a moderate fee for an internet based paid tv service, or watch as many adds as their please ) or they can helplessly watch me download every single TV broadcast I want for free since their copyright law doesn't applies in this country.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot: block away all you want guys at Fox, ABC, CBS, etc. I will give you 0 revenue if that is what you want.

cprofitt
July 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Germany does not block anything...the blockage originates in the US at the source. Yet another example of the "if you are not physically in the US, you cannot enjoy it" kind of thinking that the rest of us (about 6 billion or so) are getting tired of...

The BBC blocks the outside of UK people too...

It is funny that the morons in charge of big entertainment can't figure out how to geo-locate to put up ads that are relevant to where the 'watcher' is...

Giant Speck
July 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I wish broadband television was more fully developed. I'd pay to watch streaming television on my computer.

Unfortunately, it isn't available yet. The only company that I've heard of that is currently working on such technology is AT&T, and that is in small, select test areas.

HappyFeet
July 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
It has actually gotten pretty easy. Take a look at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/

And I think the author of this little beauty is even a member of this forum.

Thanks for that, but when i go to install sopcast, it gives me "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: sp-auth (>= 3.0.1)"

Dimitriid
July 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM
The BBC blocks the outside of UK people too...

It is funny that the morons in charge of big entertainment can't figure out how to geo-locate to put up ads that are relevant to where the 'watcher' is...

They don't even have to "figure out" a damn thing: google is already making terrific business out of this type of targeted advertising, why not outsource it to google and let em take care of changing the advertising?

Closed_Port
July 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks for that, but when i go to install sopcast, it gives me "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: sp-auth (>= 3.0.1)"

Sorry, forgot to point this out. You'll have to install the sp-auth package first, which you'll also find on the site under featured downloads.

HappyFeet
July 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM

I found the sp-auth file. Works good. Now I have 1 less reason to boot windows. Now if only my game would work. But I rarely play anyway.

TBOL3
July 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Speaking of this, can any of you help me get the iPlayer working in the USA? I can't really find a good proxy to save my life (I gave up after several hours of searching). I've also heard about get_iplayer, but I never was able to get it to work, with or without a proxy.

Either that, or could any of you tell me where else I can (legally) watch Doctor Who? (besides getting the dvd's from my local library).

Thank you.