PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] frequent freezing and difficulty downloading nvidea 185

dragonmouse
July 12th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Hello, I have a problem with the computer freezing using Jackalope, was fine before. Helpful students installed Jackalope for me, and when I reported freezing (mouse won't work, if I leave computer unattended goes into energy saving mode and won't come out; power button won't work and all that will free the freeze is pulling the plug) they suggested nvidea card install 185 point something. I read that it is not very stable, and anyhow on link he sent to download, was unable to get file, only file description, though I have FTP loaded and it's supposed to use that. Uh, this may not be clear. Question: should I replace 180 nvidea card, and if so, do you have a download link and recommendations to install it?

Or other suggestions to free freeze? I looked around on the forum, and maybe because I'm raw beginner don't see my answer...

Any suggestions welcome!

cariboo
July 12th, 2009, 07:21 PM
You install closed source (restricted drivers) by going to System-->Administration-->Hardware Drivers, and enabling the driver there. If you don't have the restricted driver installed it may take a while to download and install it, depending on the speed of the mirror.

I wouldn't suggest you try installing the drivers from Nvidia, if you are a new user, as the process is quite involved and if you don't know what you are doing you could end up with a command line only system.

servicetech
July 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I too am having standby/sleep issues with the Nivida 180 drivers.
Hopefully somebody else has a solution.