PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Which email client is best?

JEBB
July 12th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Before I go to the trouble of setting up an email client, I'd like to get opinions here about Evolution Mail, Thunderbird and KMail (another?); Which is to be favored? Thanks.

I's be using it with 9.04 UNR on a Dell Mini 9.

sasho_zl
July 12th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I'm using evolution because it is a great email client with PGP support. It also has a calendar, tasks and memos. I have a rss plugin installed and that way I get all the news from my favorite sites instantly.

DeMus
July 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Before I go to the trouble of setting up an email client, I'd like to get opinions here about Evolution Mail, Thunderbird and KMail (another?); Which is to be favored? Thanks.

I use Thunderbird with the Lightning plugin (addon). It works great, also with Gmail accounts. (see gmail website for tutorial how to get the settings right)

vinutux
July 12th, 2009, 06:37 PM
What i think.............

Evelution is for advanced users suitable for bussiness needs

Thunderbird is firefox among email clients...light and more userfriendly suitable for personel use

bodyharvester
July 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM

i dont bother with email clients, i dont need them

i too have a dell mini 9 and the UNR will be on soon replacing normal 9.04
you should upgrade the RAM from 1 to 2Gb if you do want to head over to www.crucial.com i got my 2Gb from them quick

Talon2
July 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Gmail

rampageoberon
July 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I've never tried Evolution, but I'm sure its an excellent client.

Personally I use thunderbird. I use lightning plugin for calendar and tasks, and stationery plugin for html code editing in emails.

There are a few plugins for Gmail specifically to synchronise address books and calendar if you wish to use these.

XCan
July 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Thunderbird due to its light weight. The only reason I would see to use Evolution is if one has to interact with an Exchange server. Otherwise, I just find Evolution slow and bulky, just like Windows Apps! ;)

VCoolio
July 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolution is ok, has a lot of features. Is therefore too heavy and slow to start (on my modest pc at least). Also is has strange behavior with gtk, not all themes work ok.

I'm using claws-mail (http://www.claws-mail.org/) lately, leightweight and extendible. I like it. Version in repos is a bit old though, add repo from launchpad, there are new features.

credobyte
July 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Thunderbird ( constantly using/checking 5-10 e-mail accounts ).

Sealbhach
July 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Thunderbird is what I found best for my personal email, plus I use it as an RSS reader too.

Dimitriid
July 12th, 2009, 08:49 PM
If I could make Evolution work with the exchange 2007 server I'd be happy. Technically it can't be too difficult since for example, my company only provides intranet exchange access, however I was able to set up outlook from home by using an option that allows me to download all from the web based back up outlook client.

So I am faced with either forwarding all my work email to a web based mail and **** of IT and my boss since I will loose what they consider to be "important functionality" since I wouldn't "confirm" their meeting requests in a timely basis, or I can just use some form of windows to use the actual outlook 2007 client which is what I do at this time.