PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Synaptic in ubuntu 9.04 does not make regular updates! What is xapian-index?

vickoxy
July 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
So, i added some packages but synaptic didnīt recognize it. Then i saw on some forums that the line sudo update-apt-xapian-index should do the job. And it did it. But i am new with Linux. Can someone tell me:

1) did i done something wrong that my updates are not working well (i added all keys, made everything by the book), or it is some common issue?

2) is it dangerous for me to use xapian-index? And is it a good solution for updating my packages?

Thanks

P.S. I installed 9.04 Desktop Edition on dell mini 9.

Copernicus1234
July 12th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Never heard of that command and I dont understand what you mean. How can you install something from Synaptec it doesnt recognize? :)

vickoxy
July 12th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Never heard of that command and I dont understand what you mean. How can you install something from Synaptec it doesnt recognize? :)

Ok, i used command xapian-index from terminal-then it made something-i do not know what... after that i was able to make from synaptic regular updates and it found all needed programms.

I have to tell-after i added some packages, their programms (e.g. vlc or acroread) were not listed in synaptic, but i could make installation from terminal. And the programms were installed, but not listed in synaptic before i make xapian -index command.