PDA

View Full Version : Yay my gf used the terminal!

stwschool
July 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
My girlfriend is not a geek. However, she loves ubuntu. It does all the things she needs such as playing sims 3, web browsing, ms office, art stuff, etc. She can install software through synaptic and if I tell her what to do she can find me her IP address. However, she's definitely not a nerd.

So.. she needed to convert some pdfs to jpg files. Now of course, the logical course of action is convert -quality 100 -density 150 from.pdf to.jpg though first you have to navigate all the way there with cd and ls commands to check where you are.

Anyway, I'm really proud of her, I gave her the commands and told her what they did, and she did them all herself. Of course she's denying now that she's ever been near the terminal but I also got her to install cowsay. I think I'm turning her into a geek!

chriskin
July 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
mine uses it since her first day on ubuntu :P

pelle.k
July 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
though first you have to navigate all the way there with cd and ls commands to check where you are.
The first thing i do when installing any linux distro is to install nautilus-open-terminal, so i can just right click a directory and have a terminal open there without all that typing :P
That'll save your girlfriend some time me thinks.

paparozoumis
July 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
The first thing i do when installing any linux distro is to install nautilus-open-terminal, so i can just right click a directory and have a terminal open there without all that typing :P

This sounds like a great idea.
I downloaded and installed nautilus-open-terminal with synaptics but right-clicking a folder how do I open a terminal in there? What's the option to click then?

ArtF10
July 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah but she won't be as hacker-ish by clicking as she would by typing.

boon4376
July 12th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I used to really resist the terminal, I would say "why isnt there a damn GUI interface for this!"... but now i realize that it is much much faster... I figure everyone needs to just break down and get to know it.

OMG THEY HAVE THAT??\\:D/

Copernicus1234
July 12th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Next episode - you use her makeup. :)

paparozoumis
July 12th, 2009, 06:43 PM

This sounds like a great idea.
I downloaded and installed nautilus-open-terminal with synaptics but right-clicking a folder how do I open a terminal in there? What's the option to click then?

OK ... got it sorted.
It just needed a logout and login and it works great now with the Open In Terminal command.Thanks....

stwschool
July 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah I have it on my box but I didn't want to make it that easy for her ;)

Glucklich
July 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
next episode - you use her makeup. :)

loooooooool!!! :P

Sand & Mercury
July 13th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Cool story bro