PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen Resolution stuck at 800x600 - HP DV2000 laptop 14.1 inch widescreen display

Phlei
July 12th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Hello:

I just got Ubuntu installed successfully on my laptop (yay for me).

I am trying to get a higher screen resolution and cannot find anything that works.

I have tried:

System-Preferences-Screen Resolution : nothing there

sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk Alt+F2 gksudo displayconfig-gtk : I tried a few of the HP displays here but none of them work. I do not know my exact model number/display type (will knowing this do it?)

Can anyone help me or give me some hints? 800x600 drives me nuts

Thanks for the help! I am looking forward to transitioning to Ubuntu!!!

Cheers

halitech
July 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM
looks like you have an Nvidia video card based on the specs for the machine. Have you checked under System - Admin - Hardware drivers to see if it has drivers for you to use?

northern lights
July 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Please post the output of
sudo lshw -C display

nhasian
July 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
how can you be sure its an nvidia adaptor? HP uses Nvidia, Intel, and ATI video adaptors. the best way is to open a terminal from Applications->Accessories and type:

lshw -C display

looks like you have an Nvidia video card based on the specs for the machine. Have you checked under System - Admin - Hardware drivers to see if it has drivers for you to use?

Phlei
July 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I figured it out...it was the drivers.

When I installed all of the Ubuntu updates it then asked to update video drivers...restarted...and it's beautiful.

So far I am pretty impressed with how Ubuntu looks...let's just see if I can get some windows apps to work now.

Thanks everyone!

LewRockwell
July 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I figured it out...it was the drivers.

When I installed all of the Ubuntu updates it then asked to update video drivers...restarted...and it's beautiful.

So far I am pretty impressed with how Ubuntu looks...let's just see if I can get some windows apps to work now.

Thanks everyone!

you don't need no stinkin' windoze apps...

halitech
July 12th, 2009, 10:27 PM
how can you be sure its an nvidia adaptor? HP uses Nvidia, Intel, and ATI video adaptors. the best way is to open a terminal from Applications->Accessories and type:

lshw -C display

I was basing it on the fact that I went to the HP website and found the DV2000 series and it said an Nvidia GoForce 7300 (if I remember right) was installed in that machine. Either way, if the OP checked restricted drivers they should have seen an ATI driver or an Nvidia driver and if by chance it is an intel card, well it should have given them better then 800x600 to start.