PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu broke my machine!

robertss9
July 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hi All

Bought a new PC recently, so thought I would install Ubuntu on my old one so that i could have a look and a play with it.

Got the CD, booted it up and got to the main screen.

Ran the disc checker and the memory test - both passed, no problem.

So, i select "Install Ubuntu" and away we go.

I enter all the required information (selecting to overwrite my Windows XP installation) and the install begins.

It runs through the install and gets to 100%, then the screen goes blank and for a while it still appears to be doing something (i.e. the hard drive light is flashing and so is the CD drive light).

However, after about a half hour, they stop flashing and the machine just sits there.... and sits there... and sits there. Not wanting to touch it, i leave it for a few hours. Eventually (there is no change at all), i click the reboot button.

On startup, i now get this error:

http://i30.tinypic.com/2gul7jq.jpg "kernal panic - not syncing" and other stuff.

I keep trying and eventually i get to the main menu and start up the memory test - i get this:

http://i28.tinypic.com/qp0wmr.jpg - over 165000 errors!

I've tried a few times to reinstall Ubuntu and i always end up with the kernal panic message.

I tried to re-install Windows XP and now that won't re-install properly either.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

How did a simple install of an OS manage to create so many memory errors that weren't there at the beginning?!

Cheers for any help/advice

issih
July 12th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Willing to bet that its nothing to do with ubuntu.

Most likely explanation is that the memory has heated up because the machine has been on a while and that has exposed the errors. All electronic equipment that is prone to failure gets worse when heated, its to do with electric noise.

I.E you always had faulty memory, but it didn't show up until you stressed the machine for a bit.

Hope that helps