PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in July - A new computer...Maybe!!!

tad1073
July 12th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Would this be an excellent purchase or what?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0312598

Bart_D
July 12th, 2009, 04:44 PM
You're actually saving $350(USD):

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dxcwpp1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=desktop-studio-xps-435

EDIT: Do you NEED another computer?

The Toxic Mite
July 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Are you going to use it for gaming?

6GB of ram is a bit excessive, is it not? :?

Stan_1936
July 12th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I think he's futureproofing.

JillSwift
July 12th, 2009, 05:37 PM
EDIT: Do you NEED another computer?
Huh? Doesn't everybody? :)

Gizenshya
July 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't buy it.

It has a $70 graphics card :p You would have to buy another one right off the bat, so that's $70 wasted. It doesn't say what MOBO it has, or any overclocking capabilities... which probably means it is some crappy one.

What RAM does it have? probably the slowest trip channel there is.

It probably has a very WEAK power supply. Dells are bad about that... and thats probably one of the reasons for the weak, gpu. If you upgrade the GPU,. you'll probably have to get a better PSU, which is going to be about $100. So that's another 200-200 you'll have to spend right out f the box if you want to play any decent games (which, I'm assuming is the reason you'd want that computer anyway).

Personally, I would make a quick trip to newegg and be done with it.

I just added some stuff up (without the case or Vista Home Premium). Same CPU, and a high quality WD 1 TB hdd, high quality trip channel RAM, high quality OC'able mobo, high-quality 650-watt PSU, and a 4870 GPU that is at least twice powerful as the GPU on that computer. Total: $850. There probably wouldn't be taxes. depending on where you live. But there would be shipping. Also, you could probably save more if you got combo deals. that figure is just for items purchased individually.

If you have a keyboard, monitor, and mouse, I'm assuming you have a case as well. But you could always get one.

For gaming, my computer would be significantly stronger than the computer in your link, and it was purchased for a total of about $550 about 10 months ago. I can get the parts now for probably about $450-500.

Bart_D
July 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Huh? Doesn't everybody? :)

1. If nothing is wrong with your current system(i.e. if it ain't broke), YOU DON'T NEED a new computer!

2. Both his OLD and his NEW systems are killer systems for Ubuntu...or even Windows for that matter. He doesn't NEED another computer! He WANTS one.........

Judging by the lack of posts by him, since he created this thread, I'm guessing he has already gone to one of the 2 Microcenter stores in Georgia and picked up the system.

tad1073
July 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
1. If nothing is wrong with your current system(i.e. if it ain't broke), YOU DON'T NEED a new computer!

2. Both his OLD and his NEW systems are killer systems for Ubuntu...or even Windows for that matter. He doesn't NEED another computer! He WANTS one.........

Judging by the lack of posts by him, since he created this thread, I'm guessing he has already gone to one of the 2 Microcenter stores in Georgia and picked up the system.

No, I was out mowing grass.

My mom need a new computer bad, so, if i am able to get that dell, I was going to give my mom the Gateway. I can write the new one off as a school purchase and write the gateway off as a charitable donation.

tad1073
July 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't buy it.

It has a $70 graphics card :p You would have to buy another one right off the bat, so that's $70 wasted. It doesn't say what MOBO it has, or any overclocking capabilities... which probably means it is some crappy one.

What RAM does it have? probably the slowest trip channel there is.

It probably has a very WEAK power supply. Dells are bad about that... and thats probably one of the reasons for the weak, gpu. If you upgrade the GPU,. you'll probably have to get a better PSU, which is going to be about $100. So that's another 200-200 you'll have to spend right out f the box if you want to play any decent games (which, I'm assuming is the reason you'd want that computer anyway).

Personally, I would make a quick trip to newegg and be done with it.

I just added some stuff up (without the case or Vista Home Premium). Same CPU, and a high quality WD 1 TB hdd, high quality trip channel RAM, high quality OC'able mobo, high-quality 650-watt PSU, and a 4870 GPU that is at least twice powerful as the GPU on that computer. Total: $850. There probably wouldn't be taxes. depending on where you live. But there would be shipping. Also, you could probably save more if you got combo deals. that figure is just for items purchased individually.

If you have a keyboard, monitor, and mouse, I'm assuming you have a case as well. But you could always get one.

For gaming, my computer would be significantly stronger than the computer in your link, and it was purchased for a total of about $550 about 10 months ago. I can get the parts now for probably about $450-500.

I am not a gamer, so all the stuff you mentioned really doesn't matter to me at the moment. But, i will be getting a nvidia card, I really don't care for ati, plus linux/ubuntu has better driver support for nvidia.

I think he's futureproofing.

I am future proofing, if I able to get that dell.

Gizenshya
July 13th, 2009, 05:51 AM
In that case, I say go for it.

I don't know why you would need a processor quite that powerful if not gaming. The only thing I would point out is that technology gets cheaper with time. I doubt you would ever notice a difference between that i7 and a core 2 duo like mine, or a core 2 quad. And they cost $100 less. But then again, "future proofing" would be a valid reason. Since you won't be into gaming, an i7 should be more than sufficient for the next 5 years of Ubuntu at least. And since you won't be upgrading the GPU or PSU, that is a decent price for that hardware.

Ohh... and since you won't be gaming, get them to take off the Vista for a discount. They offered me $85 off last time (or something around that, can't remember). I ended up going with another company for hardware reasons, though. Unless you want it, of course. I would just stick with Ubuntu, though.

PurposeOfReason
July 13th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I am future proofing, if I able to get that dell.
There is no such thing in computers. The people who bought quad core two years were futureproofing, they all have i7s now.

tad1073
July 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
In that case, I say go for it.

I don't know why you would need a processor quite that powerful if not gaming. The only thing I would point out is that technology gets cheaper with time. I doubt you would ever notice a difference between that i7 and a core 2 duo like mine, or a core 2 quad. And they cost $100 less. But then again, "future proofing" would be a valid reason. Since you won't be into gaming, an i7 should be more than sufficient for the next 5 years of Ubuntu at least. And since you won't be upgrading the GPU or PSU, that is a decent price for that hardware.

Ohh... and since you won't be gaming, get them to take off the Vista for a discount. They offered me $85 off last time (or something around that, can't remember). I ended up going with another company for hardware reasons, though. Unless you want it, of course. I would just stick with Ubuntu, though.

I am going to be using it as a media center.

I a going to get the W7 upgrade, I have W7 rc now and I say it is a lot better that vista.

Eventually I will be upgrading components. The first thing I am going to do id put my nvidia 9500 gt in itthen eventually upgrade the psu.

helliewm
July 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM
There is no such thing in computers. The people who bought quad core two years were futureproofing, they all have i7s now.

I have got a Q6600 4 gig ram 2 500 gig hard drives and an ATI4850 grpahics card. BigKen from the forums built it for me. I am probably the only person who actually made a real live friend from the Ubuntu Forums. I will not be upgrading to an I7 just yet. I love my PC it does everything I need.

Helen

JillSwift
July 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Phfft. My comment was a joke, and an obvious one at that, meant to say "Don't we all lust after that next luscious bit of hardware?" It's just human nature to want a bit more than we already have.

tad1073
July 13th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Phfft. My comment was a joke, and an obvious one at that, meant to say "Don't we all lust after that next luscious bit of hardware?" It's just human nature to want a bit more than we already have.

My mom need a new computer bad, so, if i am able to get that dell, I was going to give my mom the Gateway. I can write the new one off as a school purchase and write the gateway off as a charitable donation.

Stan_1936
July 14th, 2009, 05:03 AM

Not everyone can afford to do that! You're wrong, the term DOES exist for those that make use of it.

PurposeOfReason
July 14th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Not everyone can afford to do that! You're wrong, the term DOES exist for those that make use of it.
I guess that really depends on your definition of future-proof.