PDA

View Full Version : two things beans and compiz

TeamJ
July 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
these are both quickies so I have combined them

1. can anyone explain the beans system? what does the graphic, phrase and number of beans mean?

2. can anyone give me a step by step instruction on how to get compiz/compiz fusion/beryl/emerald on netbook remix. I maen for real beginners.
:confused:](*,):-k:???::oops::o:mad:

northern lights
July 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM
2. can anyone give me a step by step instruction on how to get compiz/compiz fusion/beryl/emerald on netbook remix. I maen for real beginners.
The beryl project is not being continued. It has been forked from compiz - the two are now re-merged as compiz-fusion. So that's what you want to install. Run
sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager

1. can anyone explain the beans system? what does the graphic, phrase and number of beans mean?
Nothing.
Number of beans is post-count.
Recurring question - search the forums you'll find countless threads.

TeamJ
July 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM
thanksare you sure this works in UNR?

northern lights
July 12th, 2009, 03:47 PM
thanksare you sure this works in UNR?
Be advised that I do not own a netbook and do not use UNR at home - hence I cannot say that it will with absolute certainty.

That being said, it should though. And one thing's for sure - if it doesn't, it simply won't be installed. No harm for the system there, so you can savely run the above.

Further, UNR uses the same repositories as any other spin-off. So the package compiz has to be readily available. And if the universe repository is enabled (check under System > Administration > Software Sources), so will be compizconfig-settings-manager.

Another question is whether your graphics device and/or its driver support 3D acceleration - check using
glxinfo | grep rendering

TeamJ
July 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM
well check my signature. I think it supports everything, but very badly. what do you think? btw. that is why I use UNR

northern lights
July 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Processing power and memory are way fine. No problems there. My guess, judging by the relative capacity of the rest of the system, is that you're graphics device will be fair enough as well. That however is the only questionable piece, if any, and is not part of your signature.

Really, your hardware is by far not too old to run any modern operating system. I don't see reasons for UNR at all.

Anyhow, you can either post the output of
sudo lshw -C displayto learn more on your graphics device or see whether
glxinfo | grep renderingreturns 'direct rendering: Yes'

Michael.Godawski
July 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Moved to ABT.

TeamJ
July 12th, 2009, 04:15 PM
humph. so I am an absolute beginner, am I?

anyway I will do those commands soon. I chose UNR as I can have a nice intuitive menu, and also, trust me, it is the best thing for Intel integrated. is there any downside to it, either?

also as a mod, perhaps you can solve my beans question?

northern lights
July 12th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I chose UNR as I can have a nice intuitive menu,
[...]
is there any downside to it, either?

UNR is an Ubuntu spin-off. It's not only not a different distribution, but also not considered an 'Edition' either, hence the term 'Remix'. Basically it's just a regular Ubuntu plus these packages: go-home-applet human-netbook-theme maximus netbook-launcher window-picker-applet

also, trust me, it [UNR] is the best thing for Intel integrated.How exactly did you reach this conclusion? Assuming by "intel integrated" your referring to and on-board graphics chip and your motherboard's chipset, there is absolutely no performance gap between any other Ubuntu edition and UNR beyond regular process consumption.

humph. so I am an absolute beginner, am I?
You asked the "beans question". Duh. Don't be pissed, man.

Googling 'beans site:ubuntuforums.org' returns Guide to Forum features ** INCLUDES: Thanking, beans, titles, searching, and more (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006656) as the third link,

TeamJ
July 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
How exactly did you reach this conclusion? Assuming by "intel integrated" your referring to and on-board graphics chip and your motherboard's chipset, there is absolutely no performance gap between any other Ubuntu edition and UNR beyond regular process consumption.

Basically it's just a regular Ubuntu plus these packages: go-home-applet human-netbook-theme maximus netbook-launcher window-picker-applet

well integrated graphics means I have no GPU and little Graphics Memory. It uses the CPU and I only have about 256mb. I reached my conclusion by installing Vista, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and UNR. Ubuntu and Kubuntu were as slow as Vista, whereas UNR was quick to react. and no program to download and install can do that. I don't know this is related to Intel GMA but around the forums there is a pattern of people with it complaining, and apparently the driver is crap. Have you got first hand experience of both of them on a computer like mine?

UNR is an Ubuntu spin-off. It's not only not a different distribution, but also not considered an 'Edition' either, hence the term 'Remix'. Basically it's just a regular Ubuntu plus these packages: go-home-applet human-netbook-theme maximus netbook-launcher window-picker-applet

well basically they removed some stuff to make it faster and smaller too, which is good. and seeing as they realised most netbooks have Intel GMA they worked around that

TeamJ
July 12th, 2009, 07:30 PM
But can anyone list any downsides to using UNR?