PDA

View Full Version : Linux/FOSS Logo Cartoon

Sean4000
July 12th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Hello everyone,

With the release of Blender 2.5, I wanted to begin my biggest project to date; a 5-10 minute cartoon featuring animated Linux logos solving IT problems in a fictional toon world. It might sound lame but I am aiming at the slightly younger crowd in an effort to raise awareness of Linux in newer generations. This is a completely non-for profit endeavor.

My concerns are mainly copyright and trademarks.

The characters are:

Tux the penguin
Suzanne the blender ape
Konqi the KDE dragon
Geeko the SuSE Lizard
Pidgin's purple bird
Firefox' orange fox
GIMP the dog
Cinepaint's cartoon drip
Adium's green duck
X the xubuntu mouse

Which of these will get me thrown in jail?

I would love to proceed with this endeavor but I do not want to step on anyone's toes, so to speak.

Take care,
Sean

The Toxic Mite
July 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Hey! This sounds interesting! :D

You will need to ask for permission from the organizations that use the animals you describe in the above post. But I hope all goes well! :D

I would certainly show this to my English class if this gets released! :mrgreen:

-TTM-

eragon100
July 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Hello everyone,

With the release of Blender 2.5, I wanted to begin my biggest project to date; a 5-10 minute cartoon featuring animated Linux logos solving IT problems in a fictional toon world. It might sound lame but I am aiming at the slightly younger crowd in an effort to raise awareness of Linux in newer generations. This is a completely non-for profit endeavor.

My concerns are mainly copyright and trademarks.

The characters are:

Tux the penguin
Suzanne the blender ape
Konqi the KDE dragon
Geeko the SuSE Lizard
Pidgin's purple bird
Firefox' orange fox
GIMP the dog
Cinepaint's cartoon drip
Adium's green duck

Which of these will get me thrown in jail?

I would love to proceed with this endeavor but I do not want to step on anyone's toes, so to speak.

Take care,
Sean

Altough some of them are protected by trademarks, none of the organisations behind those projects is going to sue you for free advertising. It might be a good idea to send the mozilla foundation an e-mail asking for permission, but I don't think it's really necesarry. After all, how many people have used the firefox logo for example in this kind of community-created promotion materials? How many of those people got sued? Exacto, zero :lolflag:

I am looking forward to seeing your work ^^