PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest Problems

sdlynx
July 12th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Post the weirdest problem you've encountered somebody having.

I guess mine would be somebody said that their panel was showing up in the middle of their screen (or something of that sort, couldn't really catch what he meant).

monsterstack
July 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM
You mean problems with computers, right? Otherwise I can think of many emotional problems belonging to past girlfriends. :roll:

The most bizarre problem I had was when I chown'd the entire disk recursively to belong to me and be in my usergroup. That was the only time I've ever resorted to nuking the hard disk in order to fix something under Linux. I won't be doing that again. Weird things happened. Doh.

On my laptop I didn't configure my graphics properly (I had to use a proprietary VIA driver), and when playing video, parts of the windows above the video would become transparent and show the video playing underneath. It was mostly the toolbars, but loads of things did it. Really weird behaviour. Then 9.04 came out with a decent open VIA driver and all was well.

JohnnySage50307
July 12th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Eh, mine didn't happen under Linux, but weird nonetheless:

When I began college, in my data structures class, we coded in C++ using Visual Studio 2003. I wrote a queue by just inheireting and updating a linked list class I had coded for the last assignment. Compiled, linked, but when I went to run it, crashed instantly for no reason. My prof looked it over, compiled, linked, and crashed yet again. Traced it through the debugger: everything worked fine. Finally, emailed it to one of my classmates and turned this into a class-wide problem: Oddly enough, ran on his machine, but no one else's would work. I still have that code and haven't tried to compile it on anything else, but thought it was a fun keepsake.

The only other weird one was I crashed one of Pitt's Unix servers because of a bad pointer using fgets(). For whatever reason, the OS treated me as privilaged and I overwrote something...My prof kept that code :-P

lisati
July 12th, 2009, 07:17 AM
In my first year at university, first-year students were normally expected to use fortran with a "portapunch" version of punched cards, which was a major pain in the butt. Didn't take me long to figure out where the machines were for punching "proper" cards and get a basic idea of how to use them, along with some of the terminals..... Didn't go down too well then the staff cottoned on to what was going on.

Be that as it may, by the time my second year started, the university had started a reorganization of its introductory programming courses, and the emphasis had changed from Fortran on cards to using Pascal on terminals on a new dedicated machine, which was also configured to allow second-year students type up their source and remotely submit it to the main computer. One day I was whiling away some time while the computer booted, occasionally tapping on the "Enter" key to see if it was ready. I was mildly surprised when I was logged in without putting in a user name or password, and slightly more surprised when the operator came through from the next room, asking what I was doing loggin in as an extramural (off-campus) student. Say what? Many protests of innocence later, the operator wandered off with an air of scepticism about him. This and similar happened on more than one occasion, and I think the staff were always a touch suspicious that I was up to something - no-one else had had something like that happen!