PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Where is Gnome-Do hiding its config files?

Iteria
July 12th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I'm running Jaunty Xubuntu and I managed to break my gnome-do somehow. I'm not sure why, but it just stopped indexing programs. If I started to type "firefox" it wouldn't bring up the firefox icon and all that jazz.

I figure that instead of trying to figure out how I broke it, I'd just delete all the configuration files and reinstall it. So I deleted ~/.gconfig/apps/gnome-do, ~/.local/share/gnome-do, and ~/.config/gnome-do. Then, I emptied the trash, uninstalled gnome-do, reinstalled it and then started it up.

Not only was the same problem there, but I could tell it still remembered some of the old preferences because it started up in docky form and auto-hid itself. That isn't the default behavior.

Thus, I was wondering if anyone can think of any other places configuration information could be hiding for gnome-do?

sdlynx
July 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM
not sure the exact config files but if you run
sudo apt-get purge gnome-do it will uninstall gnome-do along with all the configuration files for it. Then just install it again.

Iteria
July 12th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks! That fixed everything.

conorsulli
December 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM
In case Anybody is still wondering its hidden in

/home/<USER>/.gconf/apps/gnome-do

;) .... Hope this helps!

Jdutch101
December 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I had a quick question about Gnome-Do as well. Initially I had it start at the log in, but I found it annoying to have it pop up right away, so I disabled that function. Of course I quickly realised that I had a problem on my hands because I had to then manually start it every time I wanted to use it to launch something. Which sort of defeats the purpose because I could just go the applications bar and launch the desired app from there. My QUESTION is whether or not there is a tweak so that the stupid pop up window doesn't invade my desktop upon log in, but remains running in the background until I need it. Is it possible to make that sort of change?

Thanks

wilee-nilee
December 6th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I had a quick question about Gnome-Do as well. Initially I had it start at the log in, but I found it annoying to have it pop up right away, so I disabled that function. Of course I quickly realised that I had a problem on my hands because I had to then manually start it every time I wanted to use it to launch something. Which sort of defeats the purpose because I could just go the applications bar and launch the desired app from there. My QUESTION is whether or not there is a tweak so that the stupid pop up window doesn't invade my desktop upon log in, but remains running in the background until I need it. Is it possible to make that sort of change?

Thanks

RE-enable at startup and use the preferences in the gnome-do gui top right corner to not have it show at startup then when you want it hit the win-shift keys or assign another combination.

Jdutch101
December 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks muchly!