PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall .py programs

villalcalde84
July 12th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and I would like to install the latest version of Mitter, the Twitter desktop client. I already have the version 0.3.2.2 installed through a .deb package I found in Getdeb.net (http://www.getdeb.net/app/Mitter), but I would like to have version 0.4.5.

I downloaded the .tar.gz package from its home page, and found that to install it I have to run the comand:

sudo python setup.py install

I have not installed software this way, and my question is, if I install Mitter this way, ¿how do I remove it if I want to later? ¿Is there an easy way to do it? ¿Is there a way to convert it into a .deb package for easy installation/removal procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Partyboi2
July 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hi, you could use checkinstall to create a deb package, that way it will be easy to remove if you need to.

sudo apt-get install checkinstallOnce installed change into the mitter source directory and

sudo checkinstall python setup.py install then answer the few questions and a deb package should be created that you can install with

sudo dpkg -i mitter_0.4.5-1_i386.deb

villalcalde84
July 12th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks Partyboi2, it worked! Now I have the latest version of Mitter installed :D