PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Vista Start-up Recovery Disc

nmaster
July 12th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Has anyone used the start-up recovery disc from this site? http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

I wanted to know what people thought. I wouldn't want to use something unless I knew it came from a trusted source.

lisati
July 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM
The only recovery disk for Vista I've used was one I made myself from the recovery partition, using software that came preinstalled on my laptop. For XP, I've used a DVD that came with my previous laptop, and a set of CDs that I made for my desktop.

Tip for those with older machines: You can cope the win98 folder on a Windows 98SE setup disk to a folder on the hard drive and run setup from there. If you do that, you won't be prompted for the Windows CD when you change your system's settings or install a new driver and stuff like that, but it can be weird seeing "copying from Windows CD-ROM" (or similar) when it's really getting the stuff from the HDD.

yeaitsdark
July 12th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Yes. I have used it. It is 100% acceptable and works precisely as they say. It of course (legally) does not include "Windows". It is a great tool when you're messing around with dual booting.

nmaster
July 12th, 2009, 02:00 AM
The site says that you can make the disc image yourself using WAIK. I would prefer to do that just so that I can be sure that its safe. MS might kinda suck but i can trust them as a download source. Is this simple? im not exactly a noob, but a tutorial would be cool. i'm just a little cautious because it is a third party source. thanks for the info.

Mark Phelps
July 13th, 2009, 01:22 AM
NeoSmart is a site you can trust, and the image they posted for making a recovery CD as well.

Keep in mind that this disk can only be used to repair an existing Vista installation; it can not be used to install/reinstall Vista.

lindsay7
July 13th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I have used it many times and it works great. I keep a copy in my fix-it file.

nmaster
July 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Ah okay. That sounds good. I'm always wary of new sites. Thanks all.