PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 8.1 from scracth, I can ping but Network Manager App shows otherwise.

danebramaged
July 11th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Good day to all:

I have just re-installed Ubuntu 8.1 and I am using it to post this message however, Network Manager App (which appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the Gnome Panel) displays an icon which indicates that I am having problems.

I ran into this problem immediately and it really was NOT working (as indicated) so I set up static ip addresses and DNS servers plus mac address, net mask and gate info and ...

... I can surf. YAy!

But the icon never "animates" its-self. It never switches over to the animated icon of two green dots (lights) with the two blue swirls that go 'round and 'round. It just WORKs and gives no indication as to why I am left with an icon of a dark terminal with a tiny little orange triangle (caution sign with ! mark).

So long story short, ... I can connect to my wireless router and surf the internet and ping my ISP, but Ubuntu tells that I am not connected.

Thsi is annoying AND confusing, so any suggestions on the subject would be welcome.

Thank you.