PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 for a netbook?

jmedina
July 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I've used my iBook G3 for a little over a year now and am deciding whether or not to sell it and purchase a netbook. It had 640 MB RAM, 30 GB Hard Drive, 800 MHZ, an Airport Card, and Mac OS 10.4. There are several problems I sometimes notice. The first is it randomly freezes and quits on Apps and sometimes it will come up with a screen saying to reboot. I installed a 512 MB module back in September or October of last year, so I think it could be bad RAM. For a while I thought the DC board was going out because whenever I put the power adapter in the light on the adapter comes on slowly, but I don't notice that too much anymore. The battery still holds a decent charge.

I usually use my iBook for basic web browsing and word processing, so that is why I think a netbook could be a suitable replacement. I rarely use the CD-ROM Drive on my iBook, so that shouldn't be a problem either. I want to get a netbook with 1 GB RAM, at lease a 1.5 GHZ processor, 160 GB Hard Drive, and Wi-Fi. Should I sell my iBook for a netbook?

Mehall
July 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Where are you, and how much you looking for for the iBook?

I've been after one.

On topic:

See if you can borrow a netbook from someone, and try it out for a few days.

Don't get one any smaller than 9" screen (or 8.9 or whatever it is) as you will miss a bit of screen estate on the 7" netbooks.

a EEE 1000 series would probably be great for you, and should do what you need it to.

jmedina
July 11th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for your interest! I am still unsure whether or not I want to sell it. It's just something I've been considering.

overdrank
July 12th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I had a G3 once and it was ok but I remember having issues with flash. I also had a Dell C400 (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu.4eUVlKkDEBuXhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzMGY2bjA 5BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0Y5NDVfMTA5/SIG=12hgocbt2/EXP=1247453854/**http%3a//www.dell.com/downloads/us/products/latit/c400_spec.pdf) (PDF file)
Its a great laptop for my son and if you add the Base Extended Battery for 6 hours of battery life well it is great for keeping him busy. :)

MikeTheC
July 12th, 2009, 04:26 AM
See, the issue here is that you're going to have better support for web-browsing things (Flash, for instance) in Mac OS X than in Linux, along with better accelerated graphics support, support for the Airport card... etc., etc.

What I would suggest is try a different RAM module, since what you're describing could easily be a flaky one. Other than that, maybe consider doing a nuke-n-pave with Tiger on that unit, just in case anything has gotten corrupted.

I used to have the 600MHz version of that unit, with a 14" screen, and I loved it. I used the crap out of the Airport card in it, both wardriving and hanging out over at a friend's coffee shop at the time so I could get stuff (heck, even surf the web and check email) better than I could at my home with the dial-up I was limited to.

Ah, good times...

Sublime Porte
July 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM
See, the issue here is that you're going to have better support for web-browsing things (Flash, for instance) in Mac OS X than in Linux, along with better accelerated graphics support, support for the Airport card... etc., etc.

Or just get an EeePC 1000H and dual boot Linux/OSX.

xArv3nx
July 12th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Or just get an EeePC 1000H and dual boot Linux/OSX.
illegal and probably shouldn't even be mentioned here.

Warpnow
July 12th, 2009, 05:47 AM

It is very unclear whether it is illegal. You CAN buy an OSX license...then use OSX86 to put it on. Several companies do this now for you, and the lawsuits haven't been settled yet.

I can't possibly imagine how it can be illegal to pay for a product and use it.

Sublime Porte
July 12th, 2009, 06:01 AM

That's debateable. Apple, as far as I am aware have been unable to enforce that part of their EULA as of yet.

Sublime Porte
July 12th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I can't possibly imagine how it can be illegal to pay for a product and use it.

With the warped IP laws that exist today, anything's possible.

3rdalbum
July 12th, 2009, 06:23 AM

The original poster is talking about buying a Linux netbook, not putting Linux onto his G3.

A netbook is not a bad idea if you can live with a smaller screen and similar performance to your iBook. An Intel Atom 1.6GHz isn't much faster than an old 1GHz mobile Celeron.

You might want to look at an ultraportable - I know HP makes one with an AMD Neo processor and a 12 inch screen that's about twice the price of a basic netbook, but should probably run a whole lot faster (you might get a good bargain too). In coming months there should be a few more to choose from too.

jmedina
July 15th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I am still deciding. I found this at Bestbuy.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9191849&type=product&id=1218053145987

I figured with tax and shipping it would come out to around $344. I figure the netbook would be about $80 cheaper. It's a hard decision for me whether I want to get a notebook or netbook. A DVD Drive would be nice and the larger screen seems nice as well. It's a tough decision.