PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu system is down !

chad_fiend
July 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
hello all !

i'm a new member and glad to post first time :)

Problem Description
======================
1- i have been using ubuntu 8.10 for a while and i enjoyed it very much
2- recently i was curious about using KDE and installed the package and been trying this new environment.
3- but suddenly i was faced by many problems with gnome and kde applications , they seem to overlap or hit on each other.

Action Taken
======================
1- tried to uninstall KDE from synaptic package manager but seemed like KDE is still working and causing problems.
2- i tried to remove the packages installed with KDE manually and it caused my system to crash !
3- i have both vista and ubuntu on my laptop

Current Status
=======================
i have looking for a way to recover my system , or reinstall ubuntu , tried the recovery console and the ubuntu installation cd but couldn't solve the problem.

Anyone can tell me how to recover my system ?

thanks in advance !

renkinjutsu
July 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM
be careful... how did you know which process were kde processes? if you don't start a kde session, they won't start by themselves

if you were uninstalling everything that starts with a "K" then that's bad.. you were probably uninstalling kernel services instead of [K]DE stuff

chad_fiend
July 12th, 2009, 12:29 AM
actually i checked a thread in the forums that shows the packages that are downloaded for KDE and tried to uninstall them , seems like it worked for a while but once i continued removing more packages , i couldn't get to gnome.

once i start ubuntu i'm able to access the command line but not the GUI of gnome.