PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Share files via ethernet Ubuntu & XP

kamitsukai
July 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
How do I setup file sharing between Ubuntu and XP? via Ethernet

d_liebscher
July 11th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hi,

to access a Windows sharing, you need the package libsmbclient, which should be installed by standard installation. Then you just have to go to smb://name-of-windows-computer (for example with nautilus).

To share files for Windows you have to set up a Samba Server.
You'll find a nice guidance here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba so I needn't write all these things here again.

Daniel

kamitsukai
July 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi,

to access a Windows sharing, you need the package libsmbclient, which should be installed by standard installation. Then you just have to go to smb://name-of-windows-computer (for example with nautilus).

To share files for Windows you have to set up a Samba Server.
You'll find a nice guidance here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba so I needn't write all these things here again.

Daniel

well when i connect both via the ethernet cable it says that they cannot connect so surely they have to connect before I can do the above???

d_liebscher
July 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hi,

if i understood correctly, you connected both pc's direct, without any switch or an router:

just in this case:
the can't connect, because they have no IP Address and you must set the address manually

Win: hm, depend on version: normally right click on Network -> Properties -> right click on lan adapter properties -> TCP/IP v4 -> Properties ->
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
--> OK

Linux: (somewhere there is a grafical tool to edit IP Address)
change ip to IP Address: 192.168.1.2

backup config:

sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.bakedit config:

edit /etc/network/interfacesthere is a line for yout Networkcard which look like:

iface eth0 inet dhcpyou change into:

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255restart networkconfiguration:

sudo /etc/init.d/network restartif you want to connect to an router (connect to internet via router) which have a DHCP in it (which is the nomal case): you have to turn back the configuration

win:
selcet automatic IP and automatic DHCP
linux:

sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces.bak /etc/network/interfaces
sudo /etc/init.d/network restart(it could be useful to backup the static configuration for later)

Daniel

PS:

if I misunderstood you, please describe what you mean with

so surely they have to connect before I can do the above because my English is not as good as it should be, sorry

nhasian
July 11th, 2009, 07:11 PM
if you are connecting both computers directly without a switch or hub, then you need a special cable called a crossover cable. If both pcs are connecting to a switch/hub then you can just use plain ethernet cables.

once both pcs are connected to the same network, ubuntu will be able to see the xp shares automatically from places->network in your menu.
to share a folder in ubuntu just right click on it and select sharing.

d_liebscher
July 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM
ok, it seems I give myself a hard time :roll:
well, I think I spend to much time with server consoles^^

LewRockwell
July 11th, 2009, 07:29 PM
ok, it seems I give myself a hard time :roll:
well, I think I spend to much time with server consoles^^

I think you did a fine job

d_liebscher
July 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks.

thedalmeny
July 14th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Whats your MSN kamit? Need a word with ya

Add me if ya can - andrewdalmeny@hotmail.com

d_liebscher
July 14th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Sorry, i don't use msn, just Jabber, ICQ and Skype. I'll send you my contact data via Message.

Daniel