PDA

View Full Version : Trying out Ubuntu for the first time.

Distorted Humor
July 11th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I am mostly a Suse user (I love KDE and YaST2 for example) but variety is the spice of life, so I am currently downloading the ISO for Ubuntu, and was wondering what should I expect from Ubuntu outside of your world famous community.

(As a note, I used linux on and off for 9 years now, but just recently went linux only on my laptop (using openSUSE 11.1 with kde) and now I am going to use my desktop system to explore new distros.

stwschool
July 11th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I find that it's very easy to get things done. I don't have to spend ages fiddling with it (I can if I choose, but I don't have to) because stuff just works. Hardware recognition seems about 10228 times better than any other distro and it all just hangs together beautifully.

Are you grabbing kubuntu or ubuntu? People say kubuntu's not a great KDE distro, but I'm not a kde person so couldn't comment. If not, you might find the change from kde to gnome a bit of a learning curve though for me I find it much easier (especially when I have a single panel up top and docky down the bottom).

Compiz comes standard but install simple-ccsm so you can configure it properly.

Repos come with a lot of packages, though some aren't as recent as they could be, PPAs solve that though, giving you a repo to add to keep specific apps up to date.

Enjoy :)

Distorted Humor
July 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I find that it's very easy to get things done. I don't have to spend ages fiddling with it (I can if I choose, but I don't have to) because stuff just works. Hardware recognition seems about 10228 times better than any other distro and it all just hangs together beautifully.

Are you grabbing kubuntu or ubuntu? People say kubuntu's not a great KDE distro, but I'm not a kde person so couldn't comment. If not, you might find the change from kde to gnome a bit of a learning curve though for me I find it much easier (especially when I have a single panel up top and docky down the bottom).

Compiz comes standard but install simple-ccsm so you can configure it properly.

Repos come with a lot of packages, though some aren't as recent as they could be, PPAs solve that though, giving you a repo to add to keep specific apps up to date.

Enjoy :)

Thanks, well I tried Kbuntu with a liveCD, and really wasn't that impressed with there KDE, but I guess I am spoiled with the openSUSE version. but part of me using Ubuntu is to learn something new :popcorn:

I have the HD already partinitioned and installed with linux, is it easy to point Ubuntu to that area?

Pasdar
July 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I am mostly a Suse user (I love KDE and YaST2 for example) but variety is the spice of life, so I am currently downloading the ISO for Ubuntu, and was wondering what should I expect from Ubuntu outside of your world famous community.

(As a note, I used linux on and off for 9 years now, but just recently went linux only on my laptop (using openSUSE 11.1 with kde) and now I am going to use my desktop system to explore new distros.

Expect your work to go faster because of some built in things and expect information to be available on the internet involving anything you might want to ask. If you use Kubuntu, (like I do, or actually Ubuntu with the Kubuntu desktop), expect it to not be the best implementation of KDE. When 9.10 gets released I'll install a fresh Kubuntu.

stwschool
July 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Install's a piece of cake, ubuntu plays nice with other distros. It'll suggest installing side-by-side with other distros/windows/anything else or let you do stuff manually if you so desire, and does a decent job of configuring grub.

To be honest, the best version of ubuntu is ubuntu, kubuntu just ain't that good (though I confess I'm not a fan of KDE and can't get on with yast). Having said that, the cool thing about linux is that you can add on other desktop environments and window managers very easily (through synaptic, which btw is an excellent package manager, no others that I've tried have felt quite right, synaptic always seems to work without hassle).

steveneddy
July 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ubuntu isn't as time consuming for me as is Suse or Fedora.

I find Ubuntu inviting and easy to use when performing the most complex tasks.

I have Ubuntu installed on my road warrior laptop and have yet to have any type of software failure that would hinder me from doing any work on my laptop. I use this machine daily and although the hardware is rugged, the software for me seems to be bulletproof. I travel extensively throughout the US and rely on this laptop for work, entertainment and communication daily.

Ubuntu installed on this laptop for almost three years. No problems, period.

Swagman
July 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Do a manual partition, sharing swap and choose Ext4...

it's.....--------------Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

HappyFeet
July 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
If you are a KDE fan, stick with opensuse. If you want to experience ubuntu the way it's meant to be, try gnome ubuntu.

SonnHalter
July 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM
what i think sets it apart from the other distros is that ubuntu just works. It comes with the community, with most of the software you'll need, and makes people feel like they'll never have another care in the world. In a few years ubuntu and linux will be synonymous.

Sealbhach
July 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Package manager is a lot better than Yast.