PDA

View Full Version : IrfanView won't run

Solipsil
July 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I've managed to install IrfanView through Wine (along with needed .dll) but unlike in Mint, it won't run in Ubuntu. I've tried all of the options in Wine regarding specific Windows system emulation, as well as .dll overrides, but none of these worked. I can see the CPU struggling to open, but nothing happens.
I have been instructed to take a look at http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/config-wine-main
This is where I learned how to override dlls and tweak Wine to see which setting works with the application I want to run, but I haven't managed to solve the problem.

(in case you are wondering, the reason why I want IrfanView is because of the very easy way to crop images with predefined crop selection size that I can paste onto the image I want to crop.)

Any help appreciated.

ackanao
July 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Just use winetricks to install comctl32 - here's winetricks wiki page:

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

It's better to create new wineprefix for IrfanView because there's possibility that winetricks will mess up your default wineprefix (.wine folder).

Solipsil
July 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for that, installed Winetricks and now about to install comctl32.
I unzipped it into C:\windows\temp.
How do I go about creating a new wineprefix and what do I do afterwards? Sorry, I'm a beginner.

EDIT:
I didn't have to do anything after all, it works now! Thanks very much!

ackanao
July 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
OK. First delete your .wine folder because it's obviously messed up; Then, start terminal and type winecfg - this will recreate .wine folder.

To create new wineprefix type this command:

WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView wineboot
This will create IrfanView wineprefix on your Desktop - use another path if you want

Downlad winetricks:

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

Use winetricks to install "stuff" needed for IrfanView:

WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView sh winetricks mfc42 comctl32

Start IrfanView installer:

env WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView wine /home/Solipsil/Desktop/iview425_setup.exe
IrfanView installer is placed on my Desktop - adjust path accordingly

Start IrfanView:

env WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView wine "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe"

To install IrfanView plugins, type this (I didn't test them so I don't know whether they work or not):

env WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView wine /home/Solipsil/Desktop/irfanview_plugins_425_setup.exe

IrfanView plugins installer is also placed on my Desktop

ackanao
July 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
There's a chance that some other applications will not work because you used winetricks on your default wineprefix (.wine folder). Please recreate your default wineprefix and use another for IrfanView.

Solipsil
July 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks a lot for those tips, I really appreciate it.
I got it to work without any changes, but I'm saving your tips in my designated Ubuntu help folder in case next time I'm not so lucky.

Thanks!

ackanao
July 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Solipsil, believe me it's really important to keep your default wineprefix in a good shape - There's a good chance that another application you try to install will not work just because you used winetricks on default wineprefix... If you're having troubles creating a new one (for IrfanView) I'll do my best to help you...

ackanao
July 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I corrected some mistakes I made in commands - you can use them now.

Solipsil
July 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I see, in that case, I'll get right to it. I'll post here in case I encounter problems.

Solipsil
July 11th, 2009, 09:52 PM
This might be a really stupid question (sorry about that) but - where do I find the Wine folder so I can delete it?

ackanao
July 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Goto Places -> Home Folder; Goto View and check "Show Hidden Files" option - now look for .wine folder and delete it. Start up terminal and type winecfg to recreate it.

peterqb
October 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM
Hello,

It works as far as this:

env WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView wine /home/Solipsil/Desktop/iview425_setup.exe

It isn't on mine. Where might I be going wrong?

Start IrfanView:

env WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView wine "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe"

So here there is nothing for the computer to work on...

Many thanks.
--
pqb

Sir Jasper
October 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Hi,

If you were to install Wine-Doors you could then install IrfanView 4 from its menu.

I havenīt tried it but they could easily be uninstalled if it didnīt work.

My regards

peterqb
October 4th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Tried that, but could not get the archives to open to load it.

Not having much luck here :-(
--
pqb

shantiq
October 8th, 2011, 07:04 PM
OK. First delete your .wine folder because it's obviously messed up; Then, start terminal and type winecfg - this will recreate .wine folder.

To create new wineprefix type this command:

WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView wineboot
This will create IrfanView wineprefix on your Desktop - use another path if you want

Downlad winetricks:

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

Use winetricks to install "stuff" needed for IrfanView:

WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView sh winetricks mfc42 comctl32

Start IrfanView:

To install IrfanView plugins, type this (I didn't test them so I don't know whether they work or not):

env WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/IrfanView wine /home/Solipsil/Desktop/irfanview_plugins_425_setup.exe

IrfanView plugins installer is also placed on my Desktop

wow brilliant still works with 430 current version

Did it a slightly less command line way here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11322743&postcount=10)