PDA

View Full Version : Creating a company to develop, maintain and support well-known open source projects

rotmer
July 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hi there :)

Basic idea of this company - development, maintenance and support of well-known open-source projects. My intention is to allow people who work here to choose themselves basically any open-source project or projects that they want to work on.

Do you interested to write patches for KDE ? Or maybe to translate documentation for Django ? Or to hack on the Linux kernel ? Or maybe all of this together and not only ? Then maybe you will be interested to work in my company because here you get money for working on open-source projects you Love.

I want to hear your opinion about this startup, your attitude to it, your willingness or unwillingness to work here and why and the list of open-source projects that you are personally interested in and would like to work full-time. Thank you in advance :).

My email for direct contacts if you want to rotmer@gmail.com .

With best regards, Alex.

PS Already existing discussion about this company http://www.reddit.com/r/opensource/comments/8zvne/creating_a_company_to_develop_maintain_and/

Swarms
July 11th, 2009, 01:17 PM
How is it funded? What is your income going to consist of?

rotmer
July 11th, 2009, 01:21 PM
How is it funded? What is your income going to consist of?

Please, allow me to handle these questions. You will be generously be paid for your work on open source projects you like and love. All the rest is my own business.

Delever
July 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Please, allow me to handle these questions. You will be generously be paid for your work on open source projects you like and love. All the rest is my own business.

This explanation about getting money from good - is the simplest i can give. The real "source" of money and explanation of what it really is goes really far more beyond this simplest explanation. I am studied what this "source" is and how to "get" money from it for the latest 5-6 years non-stop for almost 24/7/365. So you if you would like to know about this "source" you have to go through the same studying process i did and spent like just the same amount of time to understand everything i did. If you don't want to - well, exactly by this reason i'm giving the simplest possible explanation above.

Sounds like I would need to have faith in your study. It is really easier to have faith in any other employer. Please, check carefully if you are starting your idea the right way.

rotmer
July 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Sounds like I would need to have faith in your study. It is really easier to have faith in any other employer. Please, check carefully if you are starting your idea the right way.

I don't care. If you don't like my offer - just go to other employer and stop whining.

frup
July 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Well with answers like that, I won't be paying for support from you.

How is your plan any better than getting support for a distro?

I don't currently have any support, what kind of must haves would you be able to offer me?

Delever
July 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I don't care. If you don't like my offer - just go to other employer and stop whining.

This is not whining, this is simple BS check. You fail so far. Good luck.

rotmer
July 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Well with answers like that, I won't be paying for support from you.

I'm not asking here. I'm offering.

How is your plan any better than getting support for a distro?

I don't currently have any support, what kind of must haves would you be able to offer me?

I'm offering a job to developers and artists who want to work on open source projects they like and love and get paid for this.

I'm not offering any plan or support to users.

rotmer
July 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM
This is not whining, this is simple BS check. You fail so far. Good luck.

I don't care about any of your checks.

jonian_g
July 11th, 2009, 02:27 PM
You're a bit rude, but let's leave that aside...

I'm an artist and I'm interested in your offer. What I think you should explain in more detail is how these people are going to work for you.

stwschool
July 11th, 2009, 02:36 PM
The BS-Ometer is off the scale here. As a developer, I would not work for someone with this attitude as frankly I know it would be more hassle than it was worth, no matter what the pay.

rotmer
July 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'm an artist and I'm interested in your offer. What I think you should explain in more detail is how these people are going to work for you.

The basic idea for the moment is this - you choose open source projects you like and love and that you want to participate in. You follow all the rules and notices of the specific project about how to make your changes go into the project - that could be to create a ticket for your changes/patch, to undergo the peer review process and so on. Your payments amount will be calculated based on the difficulty of the tasks you choose and do and the amount of code/artwork/docs/translations/etc that was committed to the projects source trees.

rotmer
July 11th, 2009, 02:40 PM
The BS-Ometer is off the scale here. As a developer, I would not work for someone with this attitude as frankly I know it would be more hassle than it was worth, no matter what the pay.

I don't care about any of your attitudes, feelings and so on about me, my business, my company etc. And stop whining.

stwschool
July 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I don't care about any of your attitudes, feelings and so on about me, my business, my company etc. And stop whining.
With PR skills like that I'm sure you'll do well. Presumably anyone who disagrees with you is whining? I pity your staff (assuming you actually managed to keep any for more than 3 minutes).

rotmer
July 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM
With PR skills like that I'm sure you'll do well. Presumably anyone who disagrees with you is whining? I pity your staff (assuming you actually managed to keep any for more than 3 minutes).

I'm offering here a jobs and you can say i'm hiring people.

Everything else you say about me or the company - you better say to your friends or to your mam. I don't care about any of this stuff.

Elfy
July 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Thread closed.