PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Chosing what to install

alpha_lt
July 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm recently came here from windows system, so my knowledge about linux is not very good.
I've sold my ARM system with busy box linux and got Intel Atom 330. I got recomendations to install ubuntu. So I need to ask you which ubuntu should I choose. My intension is to use Intel Atom as low cost server only with SSH support and no GUI, no monitor, no audio. I want to set up FTP, WEB and maybe some BitTorrent. I'm thinking about ubuntu server. Will it be ok ? How it will be about D945 chipset support and gigabit LAN ? Will I be forced to use NetRemix edition ?
I'm sorry if my questions is too noob. Just need some starting help and I'll hope to get it here. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
alpha

jerrrys
July 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM
no GUI is what you get with "ubuntu server"

alpha_lt
July 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
How about Intel Atom hardware support ? As I understand, chipset will be supported, but I'm not really understand why we have NetRemix ? Is it only difference that it comes with software for nettops ?

Regards,
alpha

Pipps
July 12th, 2009, 10:47 AM
If you use the standard current Ubuntu distro then you will find that this will fly along quite happily with an Atom CPU. No need to bother with the NetRemix. As I understand it, the primary difference with the latter is that it had optimsed display settings for those tiny 10" netbook screens.

alpha_lt
July 12th, 2009, 06:32 PM
If you use the standard current Ubuntu distro then you will find that this will fly along quite happily with an Atom CPU. No need to bother with the NetRemix. As I understand it, the primary difference with the latter is that it had optimsed display settings for those tiny 10" netbook screens.

Thank you for clearing things !
I'm a little bit confused about optimised power management for Atom in NetRemix, but I think this is not so important. Now it's clear for me that I'll run Ubuntu server on it. I need to wait for my WD HDD to arrive and I'll start :)
Thanks again !

Regards,
alpha

PatrikG
September 17th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I'm on an Intel D945 and it runs just sweet. Karmic runs even better. This thing just goes and goes.