PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Universal Caller ID App runs On Linux!

Ms_Angel_D
July 11th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I have Comcast for internet, telephone, and cable. Recently they implemented universal caller id (http://www.comcast.net/callerid/). What this means is if we receive a phone call the name and number of the caller pops up on the television. But there is also a desktop application you can install which will also pop up the name and number of the caller. I didn't expect it to work on my computer without using wine. However when I attempted to download and install it I discovered it's an adobe air program and it runs just fine on my Ubuntu box no wine needed. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised by this.

mkendall
July 11th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah, but it's Comcast.

MikeTheC
July 11th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Actually, in all fairness, Comcast has been no worse than Time-Warner, and they even dropped my bill by $10/month.

hanzomon4
July 12th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, but it's Comcast.

lol

Ms_Angel_D
July 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I know it's comcast, but where I live I don't have a choice they are my isp and that's the way it is. I'm just happy at the moment that the app they put out works on my computer.

Angel

lisati
July 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I have Comcast for internet, telephone, and cable. Recently they implemented universal caller id (http://www.comcast.net/callerid/). What this means is if we receive a phone call the name and number of the caller pops up on the television. But there is also a desktop application you can install which will also pop up the name and number of the caller. I didn't expect it to work on my computer without using wine. However when I attempted to download and install it I discovered it's an adobe air program and it runs just fine on my Ubuntu box no wine needed. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Hmmm...wonder if it will work here. Might not get the name (the telco I use cites local privacy laws or something like that)

Grant A.
July 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
they even dropped my bill by $10/month.

Was that before or after you made this post? ;)

pwnst*r
July 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, but it's Comcast.

hahaha