PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CTRL Key does not function. Jaunty 9.04

wetinwales
July 11th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Hi All
Installed Jaunty on an AMD A8N-SL1 with GEFORCE 7800 etc.

The CTRL key does NOT function with SOME software eg:-

Thunderbird.

GIMP.. only works after page is maximised with F11. In all other pages it doesn't work.

File-System.. with certain windows CTRL does not operate.

Thus for example, trying to copy list of files to move or delete etc, this cannot be done other than one at a time.

With some software CTRL works fine.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
WiW

wetinwales
July 11th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Well nobody seems to answer.
Meanwhile I've solved it.
<System Preferences <Windows <Movement Key <Choose 'Super'
make sure Ctrl isn't selected as the system thinks you are trying to move a window when you press CTRL.

My God! I solved a problem and posted the solution on the Forum.
First time... and nobody's listening !!!!!

cydejsn
July 22nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Thanks wetinwales! I'm listening! I have been pulling my hair out for days trying to figure out why my control key wasn't working. ](*,) I was experiencing the exact same problems as you. I have no idea what caused my setting to change under <System Preferences <Windows <Movement Key. Thank you so much for your tip and taking the time to post it on this forum. I was to the point of reinstalling the system, so, needless to say, you have saved me hours of work!

wetinwales
July 22nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Good heavens..! Thank you!

tommcd
July 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
<System Preferences <Windows <Movement Key <Choose 'Super'
make sure Ctrl isn't selected as the system thinks you are trying to move a window when you press CTRL.

Hmmm, interesting. I did not know that. Thanks!!
My "movement key" is set to alt on my laptop, and my ctrl key works fine. I have not checked the desktop yet.
I have seen other threads about this, but never saw a satisfactory solution. This is a good find indeed!

iamavendor
July 23rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
EXCELLENT POST.

Yes there are people listening and learning.
Thank you for solving the problem!!!
It was driving me nuts because I could not select files or use Gimp tool select options.

Many Thanks from Florida!!:D