PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Inspiron 1100 install problems 10.4

tcanthonyii
July 11th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I'm trying to install 9.4 on an inspiron 1100. I know it's old but it was free. I'm going to use it as my shop PC so I don't screw my good HP. Anyway when I try to install the screen just goes black. Does the same if I just try to boot into the Live CD mode. Some older threads pointed to a video issue. Anyone ever get it to work?

Thanks

T.C.

merlinus
July 11th, 2009, 05:43 AM
You might try the text-based alternate install cd, but make sure to check the minimum specs needed to run 9.04.

Mark Phelps
July 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
From a quick Google, I saw that the Inspiron has only 256MB of memory. With that little memory, you're going to have trouble installing using the desktop LiveCD, and even if you get it installed using the text-mode alternate installer, you'll find that you won't be able to use Gnome and the machine is likely to work very slowly.

You should consider more "minimal" installations than Ubuntu.

csabo2
July 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM
To build off of Marks post a little, I've included an option that I personally use on old machines and LOVE. you download a net install disc and once booted, you download a script they have written that installs all the needed apps and the desktop environment, I'm pretty sure its XFCE. it is very lightweight and very fast, and still totally functional.

http://u-lite.org/