PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 problems

OakRaider4Life
July 11th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Hey, I'm very new to linux so sorry if I'm a little short with information.

Anyways, I just upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and then to 9.04. After upgrading to 8.10, i noticed that I was running into a problem with my tooltips-- they pop up as blnk black squares instead of having text. When I open my appearance settings, I see a message that says "this theme will not look as intended because the required icon theme 'default.kde' is not installed" Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

More seriously though, somewhre throughout the upgrade process I my sound stopped working. I followed the fix-it guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578) by psyke83, but when I get to the step in which I open myt volume control, I get the evil "Connection Failed: Connection Refused" message. When I attempt to open the volume control mannually as it instructs, I get the same message. This is what I get from the console:

[1] 8414
bash: $: command not found
[1]+ Exit 127 $ pulseaudio
james@Computer24:~$ sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins padevchooser libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio
[sudo] password for james:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libasound2-plugins is already the newest version.
padevchooser is already the newest version.
libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
james@Computer24:~$ sudo apt-get remove --purge libflashsupport flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libflashsupport is not installed, so not removed
E: Couldn't find package flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
james@Computer24:~$ mkdir ~/pulse-backup && cp -r ~/.pulse ~/.asound* /etc/asound.conf /etc/pulse -t ~/pulse-backup/
mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/james/pulse-backup': File exists
james@Computer24:~$
james@Computer24:~$ sudo rm -r ~/.pulse ~/.asound* /etc/asound.conf
rm: cannot remove `/home/james/.asound*': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `/etc/asound.conf': No such file or directory
james@Computer24:~$ pulseaudio & pavucontrol
[1] 9647
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time and/or high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary privileges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt', PolicyKit refuse to grant us the requested privileges and we have no increase RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time/high-priority scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit privileges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
E: socket-server.c: bind(): Address already in use
E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-esound-protocol-unix" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
[1]+ Exit 1 pulseaudioI'm not sure whether it stopped working after I upgraded to 8.10 or 9.04, but have reason to believe it was after upgrading to 8.10. Thoughts?

renbla
July 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Why don't you download a whole new version and burn it to CD ???, one CD won't cost you anything :). In case you don't want to lose your data, you can back it up :)