PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Failed Upgrade: Intrepid -> Jaunty

MrDelish
July 11th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I performed the automated upgrade on my Dell minitower to Jaunty via the package manager, replaced the existing config files, and then rebooted. Now, after the Ubuntu loading screen finishes the screen shows a nasty gray bax in the bottom-left corner and I'm unable to do anything except reboot. I've got a live CD loaded in it right now so that I can copy all of my data or work from a terminal, but I'm not sure how I'd go about repairing the problem. I've tried a couple of things already (such as the suggestions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-482406.html) but have had no luck so far.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

earthpigg
July 11th, 2009, 02:49 AM
have you tried recovery mode?

when you see the screen that says 'booting in 3....2....1...' hit escape before it finishes the countdown, and choose recovery mode.

that will get us started.

merlinus
July 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM
What video card do you have? If ATI, then that is probably the cause.

MrDelish
July 11th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Yep, I'm able to reach recovery mode. Not really sure where to start there, though. Attempting to repair broken packages says everything is up-to-date and auto-repairing the graphical problems just moved the garbled box to the top of the screen. The fsck doesn't appear to do anything at all... is there something else I should be doing in the recovery screen?

MrDelish
July 11th, 2009, 04:17 AM
What video card do you have? If ATI, then that is probably the cause.

Sorry, I was writing my last post when yours went up. Yes, it's an ATI. After doing some further searching, I'll go ahead and attempt another fix (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7160601&postcount=67) and post my results.

MrDelish
July 11th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Yep, those instructions did the trick except that I had to run

sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx

and then

aticonfig --initial -f

as suggested. It just booted without a hitch, so I'll keep that handy in case the problem comes up again.

Thanks for the replies. I've been using Ubuntu for a little over a year, but still feel very new to it in some ways and appreciate a push in the right direction.

earthpigg
July 11th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. I've been using Ubuntu for a little over a year, but still feel very new to it in some ways and appreciate a push in the right direction.

im pretty sure ATI cards give everyone a headache that has one, from time to time.

im pretty sure the vast majority of linux users boycott them for that very reason.