PDA

View Full Version : Who knows a good music organizer?

KFwLsKvVAs
July 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I've go like 15,000 music files in multiple folders and not in folders under my "All Music" directory. What I really need is some program that can go through and put things into folders by album or artist or whatever. I can't seem to find a simple solution to this, I just need the equivalent of itunes "keep music folder organised".

Who knows of something like this? It's crippling to try to search through that many unorganized files when I'm not looking for anything in particular, just good music, and it's all over the place.

Simian Man
July 10th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I couldn't find any solution to this problem. In the end, I wrote some shell scripts that did the job with the help of the id3info program. Hopefully someone knows of an automated way.

gn2
July 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Atunes (http://www.atunes.org/) can search through all your files an present them in a neat organised way.

tbroderick
July 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I've go like 15,000 music files in multiple folders and not in folders under my "All Music" directory. What I really need is some program that can go through and put things into folders by album or artist or whatever. I can't seem to find a simple solution to this, I just need the equivalent of itunes "keep music folder organised".

Who knows of something like this? It's crippling to try to search through that many unorganized files when I'm not looking for anything in particular, just good music, and it's all over the place.

Songbird 1.2.0 has that itunes like automatic file organization.

Paqman
July 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
If they're all tagged properly you shouldn't have any problem organising them. If not, what you need is an ID3 tagging tool. There's a few of them in the repos. Pick your favourite and get to work, it's well worth taking the time to tag your collection properly.

Maheriano
July 10th, 2009, 11:26 PM
You can use Moovida to listen to them, then you don't need to organize the folders. They display in the Moovida interface by artist, album, genre, any way you want.

patchoro
July 12th, 2009, 12:17 PM
If you really need organised folders you might checkout Amarok. (1.4 works great, not 2 sure about v2 tho)

Chronon
July 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
EasyTAG can scan metadata of your files and rename them.

koleoptero
July 12th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Songbird 1.20 defitely. Tested and working.

Also exaile if you're in gnome or amarok if you're using KDE or XFCE can display the files in an organized way even if they're in many folders.

uraliss
July 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Im checking out Musicbrainz Picard now to organise my 160G of assorted music files.
I will let you know how this works out.

Cheers

KFwLsKvVAs
July 18th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Im checking out Musicbrainz Picard now to organise my 160G of assorted music files.
I will let you know how this works out.

Cheers

Yeah I'm interested to see how that goes. In the meantime I believe I'm going to try Songbird to organise everything...

Jimleko211
July 18th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Banshee works pretty good for an iTunes-like experience, as well.

GeekGirl1
July 18th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I tried amarok about 6 months ago and gave up because I couldn't resolve the sound problems. Just tried it again and same problem. It's gone.

Exaile works just fine in Gnome. Get the latest from the PPA repository http://www.exaile.org/ as it's got a ShoutCast plugin. The only complaint is that it gets slow when you have large collections.

JOHNNYG713
July 18th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Paul McCartney He's a good music organizer ! But I don"t know him : (

GeekGirl1
July 22nd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Upon further review, I was forced to remove Exaile and go back to amarok. I fixed the audio problems. Amarok 2.02 on Gnome 2.26.1.

The delays in Exaile are intolerable for everything from changing tracks to changing channels in ShoutCast. 30,000 tracks.

Tipped OuT
July 22nd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Rhythmbox...

koleoptero
July 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Decibel? Can't go any faster... :mrgreen:

Maikoru
July 22nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Mpd with gmpc. :D

KFwLsKvVAs
July 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Tried Songbird for organising everything. It worked better than I thought. It copied everything from the jumble of folders and individual files to a very organized artist > album > artist - song title. Took a while to get through the whole library, but it worked. Only problem is that now when I add new music, I have to add it into songbird, which I don't use to play music, and sometimes it freezes when adding tracks. But it's definitely an improvement over what i had.

shodai100
July 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Songbird works great. You can also use Banshee.

nmaster
July 24th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Banshee works pretty good for an iTunes-like experience, as well.

so Banshee will take a directory of music files and create a directory tree like iTunes does? sorry, could you post a response here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1221342. I shouldn't have asked here and on a new thread, but what's done is done.