PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Request (suggestions) for future application support.

danielpalos
July 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I recently installed 9.04. It installed successfully on the second attempt.

I also installed Wine.

Roboform, FXCM TradingStation2, and several other applications encountered difficulty with non-expected coding in the install routine.

Being able to install these programs from a package manager would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any specific thread we can post suggestions for application migration or support within Ubuntu?

QIII
July 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I doubt you will find much support for such an idea.

The Synaptic Package Manager and APT are designed with the idea that they download and install packages specifically for Debian-based distributions (like Ubuntu) in a Linux environment.

Wine supports Windows applications in its "sandbox" on a case by case basis. Not all applications work well with it and cannot, therefore, be guaranteed to work. Wine is a concession to the popularity of Windows applications, not a core Linux goal.

You may make a post in http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/, but I doubt it will be received well.

danielpalos
July 11th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Is there a simple standard they can publish to, that won't degrade software performance regardless of OS?