PDA

View Full Version : solaris os stupid question

heyyy
July 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
is solaris os another linux distribution or is something different on its own?

sisco311
July 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
nope, solaris is a UNIX-based OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_(operating_system)

cmay
July 10th, 2009, 09:26 PM
i use open solaris and i like it. its not an linux os even that it looks a bit like it from the first look . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSolaris

i seen your other post on java and i want to say that if you install netbeans on open solaris to program java it will be great.

i use the open solaris install i have for learning to program in c using netbeans and geany and i also use it for making html stuff.

i used it for a office coputer having my printer setup and used it for primarly googling.

its harder to install the media player applications and its not so llight on ressurces as linux. i upgraded to 4 gigabytes of ram to have it running proper. it takes at least a gigabyte of ram to function proper.

overall i would say unless you have an interest in the UNIX systems then there is no apparant reasons to use solaris over linux. i just like it and been using the open solaris since the first live cd came out. i will stick wiht it.

(good luck on your java btw :))

Viva
July 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM
The kernel is based on unix and it uses GNOME and quite a few GNU software.

Sublime Porte
July 11th, 2009, 03:24 AM
is solaris os another linux distribution or is something different on its own?If we consider that what you call "Linux" is actually the GNU Operating System, just running the Linux kernel, then yes OpenSolaris is pretty much the GNU Operating System also, but it's running Sun Microsystems' Solaris kernel. To the end user, the interface/experience is almost identical. On the Desktop you'll still be using Gnome and Mozilla Firefox and OpenOffice and all the other apps you know from "Linux" and on the command line you'll be using mostly the exact same GNU command line utilities.

mmix
July 25th, 2009, 05:36 AM
like any oses, it suffer from hardware compatibility