PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Backports Developers

jdong
January 22nd, 2005, 03:20 AM
For Hoary Backports, I'd like a few hands to help me with backporting and packaging.

To be qualified, you should be comfortable with versioning systems (Subversion in this case). You should also be looking at this forum once or more daily. You should also be able to follow tutorials like the Backports Developer Cheat Sheet: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=12040

I currently have the following positions:

Backports Project Leader
jdong. I'd still like to keep this position.

Maintainers
The maintainers have ultimate (well, can be overruled by me) command over what packages are / are not accepted, what packages are marked stable and when, etc. These guys should be pretty familiar with subversion commands. They should also be checking the changelog periodically to ensure no corruption/foul play happens in their branch.

i386 Maintainer: jdong
amd64 Maintainer: _______
ppc Maintainer: ________

Developers
These guys make the packages. Be nice to them.

i386 Developers: jdong, rufius _________________________
amd64 Developers: ______________________________
ppc Developers: _______________________________

If you're interested in joining the team, please reply.

jdong
January 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM
Addition: I especially need PPC hands.

I will be able to support AMD64 and i386 for Hoary, but I don't have any PPC's, so I can't support this architecture.

I remember a while ago, a few people offered to help with backports.

jdong
January 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Update: I need amd64 guys too. I spent a week in AMD64 Hoary, and I just can't bear it -- every other desktop app I need wasn't there. They weren't too backport-able either.

So, ALL amd64 and ppc positions are up for grabs.

rufius
February 8th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I'm interested in helping with the i386 tree either as a developer or maintainer. Just PM me or email me if you're interested in my help.

Technoviking
February 17th, 2005, 01:01 AM
I would be interested in help on the i386 tree (maybe in the PPC tree in a couple months).

Mike

poofyhairguy
February 19th, 2005, 07:04 AM
If you're interested in joining the team, please reply.

Do you need help writing stuff up?

Jad
February 19th, 2005, 09:32 AM
sounds good, Jdong, do you think 5 hours a week will be enough?

subterrific
February 20th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I'd like to help out, but I normally have very limited time and I'm just starting to learn so I couldn't be a lead developer for a platform. I've done some work already packaging software for my personal use: gnome-clipboard-daemon, azureus, teamspeak2 client/server, and cedega on amd64. See this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=74323).

jdong
February 20th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Do you need help writing stuff up?
Yes, it would be GREAT to have someone helping me to document the site... Browse the repository, site/ folder to familiarize yourself with the site's structure......

poofyhairguy
February 22nd, 2005, 08:24 AM
Yes, it would be GREAT to have someone helping me to document the site... Browse the repository, site/ folder to familiarize yourself with the site's structure......

PM me about what you need. I would be glad to help with writing, thats what I do for my occupation.

dataw0lf
February 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM
jdong: I can definitely do it now. :) I got busy there for a while because of the consulting projects, but I can start building ppc, and pick up any slack on the i386 that you might have. Just contact me on the IRC channel or something.
dataw0lf

jdong
February 24th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Guys interested (datawolf, poofyhairguy), PM me with your e-mail addresses.

gila
February 25th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Hi I'm willing to do some dev/maintenace on the project. Having some free time and all being a student :) Contact me anytime to see what I/we can do for each other.

jdong
February 26th, 2005, 01:20 PM
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/ubuntu-bp-devel

Interested people, join that google group, introduce yourselves, state what you'd like to do.

psychic
March 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I want to help, but can only help with i386.

fng
April 8th, 2005, 05:58 PM
i can help with the i386 packages

Slo Mo Snail
May 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
I could do some ppc packages

jodef
May 3rd, 2005, 10:48 PM
jdong the tutorial looks clear and simple enough. I have no programming experience whatsoever is that necessary? I am very good at reading and understanding and following instructions as well as having a good background in computing in general. Can I be of any assistance? Pls PM if I can help in anyway.

jdong
May 4th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Programming is not necessary for majority of backporting tasks.

If you do build a backport, you can contribute by e-mailing the package to me -- I use GMail, so I have a LOT of space to spare :)