PDA

View Full Version : Question about burning open source and free software.

LinuxFox
July 10th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I understand the GPL allows copying, so I'm thinking about burning a copy of a open source game I like to a CD for myself. I'm thinking about burning the Linux version, the Windows version, and the source code to one CD. My question is about the source code. If I was to ever use another operating system like MacOS X or Free BSD, would I be able to compile the source code so I can play it?

I have no intention of leaving Linux or Windows, but I'd like to know if I ever use a new computer or OS. Please answer and thanks.

JDShu
July 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
My limited programming knowledge tells me that it depends on what libraries are needed for the game. Other operating systems might not have the things you need to compile so you probably would need to check that.

lswest
July 10th, 2009, 06:17 PM
The source code will compile as long as:

a) the compiler is present
b) the libraries are present
c) the directories/filepaths within the program aren't hard-coded, and are flexible for other systems (Mac OS X, etc.)

It will compile if the above points are covered, but it may not necessarily run, since there are some things that may have been taken into account for Windows and Linux, but are lacking in Mac (for example that user folders are under /Users/ and not /home/ or C:\Documents and Settings\, though, to be fair, that is in point c)).

I think those are the most important factors, there may be a few others I missed out though.

LinuxFox
July 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks, one more question. If I placed the binary versions on the CD, would it load up on the correct OS?

For example if I place an open source program's binary for MacOS on a CD, would a Mac read it without problems?

BoyOfDestiny
July 10th, 2009, 06:25 PM
It also depends how portable the code itself is. Will it work on big endian as well as little? etc.
In some cases it may require a small change, or no change at all.

Anyway, as it is open source, there will likely be ports to all sorts of architectures and platforms (look at VLC or scummvm for example), so you shouldn't have to worry too much. Not to mention Ubuntu has a sparc and arm port (that includes 99% of packages too!)

lswest
July 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks, one more question. If I placed the binary versions on the CD, would it load up on the correct OS?

For example if I place an open source program's binary for MacOS on a CD, would a Mac read it without problems?

It may not auto-execute (depends what the autorun for the CD is like), but if you execute the right file manually, it should launch correctly (unless libraries are missing from the CD, but I doubt that would be the case), as long as it's a binary (the source code would, of course, needs to be compiled before using).

LinuxFox
July 10th, 2009, 08:23 PM
It may not auto-execute (depends what the autorun for the CD is like), but if you execute the right file manually, it should launch correctly (unless libraries are missing from the CD, but I doubt that would be the case), as long as it's a binary (the source code would, of course, needs to be compiled before using).In that case, it's perfectly fine. I do prefer manual for running some things anyway. Thanks again.

lisati
July 10th, 2009, 08:30 PM
It may not auto-execute (depends what the autorun for the CD is like), but if you execute the right file manually, it should launch correctly (unless libraries are missing from the CD, but I doubt that would be the case), as long as it's a binary (the source code would, of course, needs to be compiled before using).

I concur: one piece of software I checked out a year or two back made a basic set of "autorun" files for a CD. Trouble was, it caused the autorun feature to try to load up a Windows EXE file, which would be useless on most *nix installations, and which would be unnecessary if all you wanted to do was to display a HTML file.