PDA

View Full Version : Laptop died. Need a new one. Recommendations?

dow mathis
July 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I've been using a Gateway M675 laptop with Ubuntu 9.04, and the motherboard died this week. This is a 17" display laptop, and I'd like to find another of similar size, but without spending a hunk of money (this one was free :D).

I'd like to have the following in it:

PC based system - Mac is NOT in the budget
2 GB or more memory
160 GB or larger HDD
DVD burner
WiFi
Bright screen
Large screen
relatively good battery life.
Inexpensive )the budget is going to be stretched extremely thin at $600 US)

I do some photo editing in Bibble and the Gimp, so a large, bright display is important.

Is a 15.6" display suitable for editing in Bibble and Gimp?

I found these two that might work except for the screen size:
eMachine: http://tinyurl.com/mottlk
Acer: http://tinyurl.com/n98243

BTW, Acer owns eMachine, and the specs of these two systems look to be identical except for RAM and HD size.

This will be my only computer.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

ajgreeny
July 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
My wife just bought a compaq CQ70 211EM in UK. Everything works out of the box, wireless, graphics with compiz (17in screen), webcam, suspend, sound, microphone, etc etc, and is brilliant with jaunty.

I'm not sure it's still available, but look around and google for it.

aysiu
July 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM
How about a Dell Inspiron 15n?
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwzl1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Gizenshya
July 10th, 2009, 07:03 PM
well...

here's a 16" Acer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115571), but it seems that the vast majority of them are 15.4". You might be paying a premium for the screen (though there isn't really anything you can do about it).

If I were you, I'd take apart the other one and scrap it on Ebay. Practically every little piece will get you about $20. And then of course there is the power supply (often separate on newer computers. usually just a little piece that unscrews with a few circuits and power adapter, but they usually sell for like $50). And, of course, the screen. I would be very surprized if you didn't get at least @200 from it on ebay in pieces. That will at least get you a discount on a new laptop, or will let you get a more expensive one, depending on the way you think about it.

IncrediBody.com
August 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM
How did your Gateway M675 run with Ubuntu? I am considering a dual boot setup on my M675, and just want to make sure there were no driver compatibility issues with your M675 that I should be aware of. I'd be thrilled if I could comfortably switch to Ubuntu on my M675!

Thanks for any information you can provide!

dow mathis
August 13th, 2009, 03:35 PM
How did your Gateway M675 run with Ubuntu? I am considering a dual boot setup on my M675, and just want to make sure there were no driver compatibility issues with your M675 that I should be aware of. I'd be thrilled if I could comfortably switch to Ubuntu on my M675!

Thanks for any information you can provide!

It ran great with 9.04. I had some quirks with 8.10, but nothing big. One thing that comes to mind about 9.04 is that I THINK I had to make some changes to get the wireless to work, but that could have been 8.10... I can't remember for sure. Regardless, I found the solution here. I think it uses a broadcom wireless adapter, so you might look that up.

Good luck with the dual boot setup. The m675 is a good machine.

treesurf
August 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
My laptop also seems to be on it's last legs, and I've been shopping around. Lenovo is having a back to school sale on their website with some pretty good deals on their IdeaPad laptops. I've always been told Lenovo is quality stuff, so I've been considering one of those.

Screwdriver0815
August 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Lenovo 3000 N200 or Lenovo 3000 N500

runs with Jaunty out of the box

MasterNetra
August 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Well if you can settle for a 10.1" display at 1024x576 screen resolution the system76 Starling Netbook with CD-RW/DVD-RW drive added fits your requirements. http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=92 , with the drive added its $444. It uses the Jaunty Netbook remix, but I'd imagine you could replace it with the regular Ubuntu..I think the norm supports the Intel Atom...

dow mathis
August 13th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought I had already posted this, but evidently I hadn't.

I found a new laptop. It's a compaq (hp) and I got it at Staples for $370 on sale. AMD dual core, 2 gb ram, 250 gb hd, dvd/dl burner, 15.6" wide screen, full keyboard with dedicated 10-key. It's working great.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

MasterNetra
August 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought I had already posted this, but evidently I hadn't.

I found a new laptop. It's a compaq (hp) and I got it at Staples for $370 on sale. AMD dual core, 2 gb ram, 250 gb hd, dvd/dl burner, 15.6" wide screen, full keyboard with dedicated 10-key. It's working great.

Ah great. Hope you enjoy it! ^.^

dow mathis
August 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM
It's been great so far. The only thing that I don't like about it is that I can't get the Standby to work. However, it's quick enough to boot up as it is, so it's not a great inconvenience. There's some consolation in knowing that I'm not the only one with this issue.

HappinessNow
August 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM
PC based system - Mac is NOT in the budget

Funny, my suggestion was going to be a Mac!:P

I do some photo editing in Bibble and the Gimp, so a large, bright display is important.

Agian I would have suggested a Mac, especially for what you will be using it for, but I understand you are working within a budget.

I am sure there are plenty of options out there in your price range, but if you are into photo-editing you really should try Adobe's Lightroom 2 or Apple's Aperture, if you want to stay Open SOurce and Free then try: RawTherapee (http://www.rawtherapee.com/)

Also, if you can find one in your price range you should try to get a Tablet computer or at least one that converts from a tablet to a laptop, the ability to edit with the pen is indispensable, but that depends on how deeply you are into such things.

EDIT: didn't read through the whole thread before posting:

It's been great so far. The only thing that I don't like about it is that I can't get the Standby to work. However, it's quick enough to boot up as it is, so it's not a great inconvenience. There's some consolation in knowing that I'm not the only one with this issue. Did you install a Linux based OS on it yet?

dow mathis
August 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Did you install a Linux based OS on it yet?

Yep. It's running ubuntu 9.04. I ran Vista on it just long enough to generate and burn the recovery dvd's. Funny, that took between two and three hours once I started the program running, and the wipe, partition and install of ubuntu took about 30 minutes beginning to end. Methinks MS has too much junk. :D

I work with MS systems all day every day. It's nice to get home in the evening and use something else.

m_ad
August 13th, 2009, 10:09 PM
.. It uses the Jaunty Netbook remix, but I'd imagine you could replace it with the regular Ubuntu..I think the norm supports the Intel Atom...

Does it? I'm wondering, because I just bought a Lenovo S12 (12" netbook with 1280x800 display) and I want the regular Ubuntu, not netbook remix :)

My laptop also seems to be on it's last legs, and I've been shopping around. Lenovo is having a back to school sale on their website with some pretty good deals on their IdeaPad laptops. I've always been told Lenovo is quality stuff, so I've been considering one of those.

Are you in the SPP at Lenovo? They have the IdeaPad G550 (Regularly $599) for $450 with free shipping..

* Intel Dual-Core T4200 (2.0GHz) Processor
* 15.6 " WXGA LED Backlight TFT (1366x768)
* 4GB PC3-8500 DDR3 1066MHz Memory
* 320GB Hard Drive 5400
* Broadcom 11b/g Wi-Fi wireless
* Intel Integrated Graphics X4500
* 6 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
* 1-Yr Warranty

tom66
August 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I like my Studio 15 but it has a few problems with standby in 9.04 (works in 8.10). It's due probably to ATI's proprietary drivers, it would work fine with Intel.

aysiu
August 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Does it? I'm wondering, because I just bought a Lenovo S12 (12" netbook with 1280x800 display) and I want the regular Ubuntu, not netbook remix :) It depends what you mean by "supports."

Both regular Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook Remix have the i386 kernel that runs just fine on an Intel Atom processor.

Neither one has the lpia (low power Intel architecture) kernel that is supposedly optimized for Intel Atom processors. I'm using the lpia right now (and I've used the i386 as well in the past) on my HP Mini, and I don't see much of a difference, performance-wise. The battery life is a little longer (maybe about 10 to 15 minutes longer). That's about it.

So the only real difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook Remix is the interface.

m_ad
August 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM
It depends what you mean by "supports."

Both regular Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook Remix have the i386 that runs just fine on an Intel Atom processor.

Neither one has the lpia (low power Intel architecture) kernel that is supposedly optimized for Intel Atom processors. I'm using the lpia right now (and I've used the i386 as well in the past) on my HP Mini, and I don't see much of a difference, performance-wise. The battery life is a little longer (maybe about 10 to 15 minutes longer). That's about it.

So the only real difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook Remix is the interface.

Great, thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to installing regular Ubuntu on my S12 :guitar:

MasterNetra
August 14th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Yep. It's running ubuntu 9.04. I ran Vista on it just long enough to generate and burn the recovery dvd's. Funny, that took between two and three hours once I started the program running, and the wipe, partition and install of ubuntu took about 30 minutes beginning to end. Methinks MS has too much junk. :D

I work with MS systems all day every day. It's nice to get home in the evening and use something else.

Yea, I'm trying windows 7 atm on my laptop which has only 1GB of ram. And surprisingly its running very well, been using only for 48 hours but thus far its doing good. System response time seems to be on par if not a little better then XP. Not better then Ubuntu of course but its a improvement. My only real beef atm is the fact they removed the ability to drag toolbars out of the taskbar. Hope that decision is reversed for final. (using the RC version).
They also removed support for Dreamscene...but theres a hack for that so its not really a big deal. ^.^

It depends what you mean by "supports."

Both regular Ubuntu and Ubuntu Netbook Remix have the i386 kernel that runs just fine on an Intel Atom processor.

Now we know. Thanks for the info! ^.^

JT9161
August 14th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Using a Acer Aspire 5720Z
- PC, pre-installed with Vista Home Premium, dual-boot and fallow normal release schedule
- 2GB RAM
- 250GB HDD
- DVD burner
- Integrated b/g WIFI card
- Nice bright screen
- 15.4 inch screen
- Was bought for 600 USD, unsure of current retail price

In regards to the software side:

Running on 9.04
- WIFI now works out of the box, previously needed NDISWrapper
- Web cam no longer works out of the box*
- Bluetooth continues to not work out of the box

Overall happy as a clam with it, hope this helps

*EDIT: Just opened Cheese to check, and the web cam is working, unfortunately I can't recall if its something I did or not

HappinessNow
August 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Sounds cool, don't forget to try RawTherapee (http://www.rawtherapee.com/). :P

dow mathis
August 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Sounds cool, don't forget to try RawTherapee (http://www.rawtherapee.com/). :P

I used raw therapee for a while on the old machine. Finally bit the bullet and bought Bibble Pro (http://www.bibblelabs.com/). That entitles me to a free upgrade to version 5 when they finally get it done. Currently using a pre-release build of version 5, and really like it.

konqui
August 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Consider ASUS notebooks.

m_ad
August 14th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Consider ASUS notebooks.

For some reason, I thought the Ubuntu community had some beef with Asus?

treesurf
August 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM

I did the deed and ordered an IdeaPad Y550. Looking forward to putting Ubuntu on it.

Xbehave
August 14th, 2009, 09:16 PM
!acer, or specifically not acer 5100/5101 they seriously suck! lenvono aparently wont refund MS tax, i would go with dell because they seam reliable for the price point i look at

HappinessNow
August 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I used raw therapee for a while on the old machine. Finally bit the bullet and bought Bibble Pro (http://www.bibblelabs.com/). That entitles me to a free upgrade to version 5 when they finally get it done. Currently using a pre-release build of version 5, and really like it.
Cool I tested Bibble out it seems pretty decent, I actually like and prefer Lightroom 2.

IncrediBody.com
August 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
It ran great with 9.04. I had some quirks with 8.10, but nothing big. One thing that comes to mind about 9.04 is that I THINK I had to make some changes to get the wireless to work, but that could have been 8.10... I can't remember for sure. Regardless, I found the solution here. I think it uses a broadcom wireless adapter, so you might look that up.

Good luck with the dual boot setup. The m675 is a good machine.

I appreciate your reply, and thankfully I am not concerned about the wireless card since I always connect via an Ethernet cable. I'm excited to load Ubuntu and hopefully transition away from Windows FOREVER, and since I have been using XP without a reinstall on this machine for about 4-5 years, I can just imagine the speed improvements that I will experience with Ubuntu, which should make this machine feel brand new again! Beats paying $$ for hardware to try and keep up with Windows' expanding requirements.

The m675 is nice, as I've only had to replace the hard drive, fan, and keyboard (the latter which takes a pounding from my daily use), and considering the system has been on 24/7 for most of the past 4-5 years with regular use, it's clearly a strong machine that I hope can last me a few more years (with help from Ubuntu!).

How long were you able to test the machine with Ubuntu before the hardware failed?

Thanks again!

arashiko28
August 16th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Check for Lenovo's laptops, mine is an Ideapad Y530, 15" truebright HD display with 1280x800 (16:10) resolution, I find it big enough to edit anything, but serve yourself, there are other models with bigger screens. For more details about mine, check my signature.
BTW they have great offers, mine was USD$850 including a wireless router and a neoprene anti-shock, sleeve. :P Pretty good huh? Bet they're cheaper now, I bought it a year ago.

dow mathis
August 17th, 2009, 04:43 AM
How long were you able to test the machine with Ubuntu before the hardware failed?

Thanks again!

From October or November until it died, at the beginning of July.

IncrediBody.com
August 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
From October or November until it died, at the beginning of July.

How do you contrast your experience using the m675 with Ubuntu vs Windows, or did you begin using the m675 immediately with Ubuntu? If you had any experience trying the machine with both Windows and Ubuntu, I am curious as to your thoughts.

dow mathis
August 17th, 2009, 02:59 PM
How do you contrast your experience using the m675 with Ubuntu vs Windows, or did you begin using the m675 immediately with Ubuntu? If you had any experience trying the machine with both Windows and Ubuntu, I am curious as to your thoughts.

The laptop was used in a business environment running WinXP Pro for about 3-1/2 years before I got it. It operated like you'd expect a Windows XP laptop to operate. On getting the laptop, I had to replace the cd drive, and I upgraded the memory.

As far as contrasting my "experience using the m675 with Ubuntu vs Windows," They're different animals. Mostly the experience was positive. However there are a few programs that I would like to use in the linux world that I can't because there are incompatibilities, even when running under Wine. For those, it was necessary to use my wife's windows laptop. I guess those are the only things that I can think of that would be negative about ubuntu. FYI, the programs in question were Dameware Mini Remote Control (used for remote administration and support of my users at work) and Canon DPP, which is a photographic package for canon DSLR's.