PDA

View Full Version : Best Python Book

CrazyMonkeyFox
July 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Ok I am looking for a book to teach myself python. I do have programming experience in other languages but would still like to study the techniques and everything in Python from the ground up. I am looking for a comprehensive book that'l basically keep me occupied and teach me as much as possible about the language. I have the python in a nutshell, reference book. So far I have found "Python Cookbook" which i think looks good, "Programming Python" by Mark Lutz which has a few bad reviews on Amazon, and also "Beginning Python: From novice to proferssional 2nd Edition". Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-Python-Novice-Professional-Professionals/dp/1590599829/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247237362&sr=8-3)

M4rotku
July 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM
You will get plenty of different answers on this one. My personal favorite and the one from which I learned Python is "Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional" by Magnus Lie Hetland. The first edition is Python 2.something and the second edition is Python 3.0.

I just checked the book out of the local library because it is a bit expensive ($44). I would advise going to the library and seeing if they have any books on Python, then select the book that you like the most from those.

However, if you are wanting to own the book, then the above one is gold imo.

Good Luck,
M4rotku

munishvit
July 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Bump!!!
I am too looking for some good book on Python...):P

kpkeerthi
July 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Get Learning Python by Mark Lutz - This book focusses on core python concepts and language basics, typical of O'Reilly's "Learning" series.

And... Python Essential Reference by David Beazely. This book covers more ground on the extra libraries and modules that can be put to use for real-world use. You could use this as a reference.

Although newer editions of the above are in the works (covering Python 3), I still recommend the current available editions covering Python 2.5. After all, the language concepts remain the same.

I always recommend reading good programming books as opposed to online tutorials scattered all over the web. Books give you a systematic treatment of the concepts and put them together in perspective the whats, the whys and the hows.

Can+~
July 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205147&highlight=python+book