PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Seperate disk for root?

unlimitedz
July 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Ok, as far as speed goes: Is it best to install Ubuntu on a separate smaller disk (like a 20GB HD) and then have your /home, and any extra storage on a different disk? I would think that the separate disk would be best because when you're accessing your media and other personal files, the OS isn't waiting for it to finish to do it's own tasks.

csabo2
July 10th, 2009, 03:55 PM
from a technical standpoint yes it would make things quicker. less of a disk queue. it also lets you backup your data easier, or reinstall the OS

tad1073
July 10th, 2009, 03:58 PM
On my "Old Computer" see sig, at one time I had three 9.1gb scsi drives daisy chained with swap and root on on and home on the other etc.

Mark Phelps
July 10th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Ok, as far as speed goes: Is it best to install Ubuntu on a separate smaller disk (like a 20GB HD) and then have your /home, and any extra storage on a different disk? I would think that the separate disk would be best because when you're accessing your media and other personal files, the OS isn't waiting for it to finish to do it's own tasks.

Depends on what you mean by "disk". If you mean a separate physical hard drive than the one used for the other directories, then you would see a performance gain. But ... unless you're running a really slow processor (e.g., PIII) and/or using very little memory (<512MB), even with 5400 RPM disks (instead of 7200), you're not going to see any realtime performance differences.

unlimitedz
July 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the comments. To the poster above, The extra drive is the same RPM as my other disks. Also I'm running an AMD 64 3200 with 2GB RAM, so I would assume that this would be productive and not counter. Thanks.