View Full Version : [ubuntu] Migrating Thunderbird accounts and mailboxes from old Linux to Ubuntu

July 10th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hello all,

this is my first visit here.

I am in the process of up-grading some relatives Linux box to the latest Ubuntu. Their previous distro was something else and it was 4-5 years old. When I was running some maintenance on it yesterday I ended up in a bit of a pickle and decided it was time for a total re-make of the installation. I had backed up /home the day before so it should be a walk in the park. The Live-CD Ubuntu 9.04 had some quirks (seg-faulting Nautilus) but installation was straight forward. Re-creating user accounts and moving data from the back-up medium also worked fine but so far I have not been able to make Thunderbird 'see' the old mails restored from the back-up.

I have looked around a little in the Ubuntu fora and I found a couple of threads that looked promising at first but so far nothing has worked for me. I have installed something called ImportExportTools mentioned here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail but to no avail so far.

Any leads are greatly appreciated. This is not my computer. I live five hours driving from here and will only stay another day or so and I want this system to be fully back on its feet before I leave.

UPDATE: Problem Solved.
It really helps if one looks in the right place for the files to import!
ImportExportTools works just fine. I am sorry for the inconvenience.