PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Won't Install

LinuxPenguin007
July 10th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 using the Live CD on my desktop. It won't work for some reason (it works fine on my laptop).
When it loads from the CD, I can choose whether to Try Ubuntu without any change.. install Ubuntu.. etc.
But when I choose to install it (or just try Ubuntu without any change) it will bring up a black screen while showing up all of these errors.

Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 128
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 129
etc..

After about 5 minutes of that and some random numbers and such, it will end up with

Setting preliminary keymap... [OK]
Preparing restricted drivers... [OK]
Setting the system clock [OK]
Starting basic networking... [OK]
Starting kernel event manager... [OK]
Loading hardware drivers...

Then it just gets stuck there.

Core 2 Quad Q6600
Nvidia 8800 GT
4 GB RAM
2 Hard drives (750GB + 250GB)

If I unhook one of the hard drives (250GB) , then the installation will continue and it will freeze right before it loads (it will freeze before it gets to the third bar)

Any suggestions / help is greatly appreciated !

tommcd
July 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM
The first thing you should do when the Ubuntu CD boots up is choose the option: "Check CD for defects". Let that run. It can take a couple minutes to finish. If it reports no errors, then the disc is ok. If it reports errors, burn a new CD at the slowest possible speed and retry.

What chipset does your motherboard use? If it is a fairly new chipset you may be be better off with the newest version of Ubuntu, which is 9.04. I would use 9.04 anyway, since it is an improvement over 8.10 imo, and it has newer programs and features.

EDIT: If you are burning from Windows, use Infra Recorder:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

LinuxPenguin007
July 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I checked the CD for defects, and nothing was wrong with it. I just tried to install 9.04 right now, and the same thing happened... :(

tommcd
July 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM
So at least we ruled out a bad CD as the source of the problem.

Again, what chipset does your motherboard use? In your first post you said it gets stuck after:

Loading hardware drivers...
Then it just gets stuck there.

That would seem to indicate that Ubuntu is having trouble recognizing your hardware.