PDA

View Full Version : Hidden flight simulator in OpenOffice

BWF89
January 24th, 2006, 04:15 AM
I know that if you type in =Game("StarWars") into Calc a version of Space Invaders came up. But when I tried out this secret nothing happened.

Anyone else able to get it working?

Easter Egg # 4 (Flight Simulator in OpenOffice calc)

This easter egg is embedded in the spreadsheet software Calc (from the OpenOffice suite). In case you don't have it you can download it from here This easter egg is a beautiful flight simulator embedded in the software. To see it follow the steps given below

1. Start Openoffice calc from the Menu or from the command line by giving the command oocalc
2. Click on sheet 3 to go to the third sheet.
3. In the range drop-down box type A2000:L2000. This will select the 2000 th row.
4. Now while pressing the key combination CTRL+ALT+P click on the background colour icon.
5. Keep CTRL+ALT+P pressed for about 45 seconds.

After going through all this steps a screen will popup and start a flight simulator game. Follow the instructions and enjoy the game. If nothing has happened after all this time, either you have not followed instructions properly or have missed something. Follow the steps again and you are likely to succeed this time round.
http://linuxgazette.net/issue89/vinayak.html

drizek
January 24th, 2006, 04:23 AM
this article was published in 2003. most likely this easter egg was removed in v2.

vayu
January 24th, 2006, 04:34 AM
I hope this wasn't true. Microsoft Excel (I think 97) did this. I don't remember now, but I even think the key sequence was the same. At the time I severely dissed M$ for putting that kind of bloat into a program.

franklee
January 24th, 2006, 04:37 AM
It sounds cool but Ive had a look around at an old debian distro and my current Breezy and had no luck...no doubt its been removed...

fslezak
June 30th, 2010, 08:32 PM
How can I use it??? Is it gone in Ubuntu 10???

McRat
June 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Easter eggs were very popular with programmers. MS Office developers had an animated script that showed a bunch of little MS soldiers fighting and slaying a big WP icon.

Some apps have deliberate hidden features to make troubleshooting and debugging easier, especially games. This is where a lot of "cheats" came from for games. You want to see how a weapon works, make the monster stand still and such.

Spr0k3t
June 30th, 2010, 10:26 PM
There was a full blown flightsim in Excel4. In Word4 there was a wolfenstien style first person shooter (was cool cause the big bosses were Bill Gates and Pitstains Ballmer). In one of their other tools (don't remember for the life of me), there was some weird groovy disco ball that came down from the window and started playing "stayin alive" while cycling the colors of the windows.

Just some small bloat added to the system. But then in Linux, our tools don't have any Super Cow Powers. (apt-get moo)

dragos240
June 30th, 2010, 10:29 PM
How can I use it??? Is it gone in Ubuntu 10???

You realize you bumped a 4 year old topic.

Spr0k3t
June 30th, 2010, 10:42 PM
You realize you bumped a 4 year old topic.

Oh crap... necropost! Normally I check that stuff prior to responding.

Timothy Benton
June 30th, 2010, 10:51 PM
so what. nothing wrong with necromancy. thread neccromancy at least lol

dragos240
June 30th, 2010, 10:54 PM
so what. nothing wrong with necromancy. thread neccromancy at least lol

It's against the rules. In b4 the lock.

sydbat
June 30th, 2010, 10:54 PM
so what. nothing wrong with necromancy. thread neccromancy at least lolThreadcromancy!

chriswyatt
June 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
What's wrong with reviving old threads? If they're still relevant. Me confused. :confused:

tgalati4
June 30th, 2010, 11:56 PM
It scares children and causes women to swoon.

The Real Dave
July 1st, 2010, 12:18 AM
In an attempt to stay on topic, anyone got any working easter eggs? :D

EDIT: Found Some! (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Easter_Eggs)

mr clark25
July 1st, 2010, 03:43 AM
yes, i have 2.

in openoffice spreadsheet you can type =Game("StarWars") into the first box to start the starwars game...

also, there is always the aptitude -v moo thing...

aptitude moo
aptitude -v moo

you can keep adding more v's...