PDA

View Full Version : A totally self-serving announcement that the community might be interested in

matthew
July 10th, 2009, 05:19 AM
The Official Ubuntu Book, Fourth Edition, is now available.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-Benjamin-Mako/dp/0137021208

Disclosure: I am one of the authors.

DeadSuperHero
July 10th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Congrats on releasing it. Dunno if I'd really need it as the community documentation is already excellent.

It's always nice to see this stuff in Barnes and Noble, though.

Firestem4
July 10th, 2009, 05:38 AM
gratz on the release. ive been intending to pick up a book like this. I might just grab this one since its newer =)

Sealbhach
July 10th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Just had a peek inside, chapter 6 looks really useful. The chapter about the history of GNU/FOSS/Ubuntu looks really interesting too.

philcamlin
July 10th, 2009, 05:58 AM
id read it :)

MaxIBoy
July 10th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Would be good to bring along if I was ever stuck in a desolate land with only dialup.

Grant A.
July 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Yes, totally unbiased advertisement. ;)

I saw one of these at Barnes & Noble today; it looks pretty useful. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wishing to learn more about Ubuntu.

Rainstride
July 10th, 2009, 09:13 AM
The Official Ubuntu Book, Fourth Edition, is now available.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-Benjamin-Mako/dp/0137021208

iv been staring at that page for like 2 weeks wishing i had the money to buy it.

binbash
July 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Gratz Matt

koenn
July 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM

I see you're also co-author of an Oreilly Cookbook. Wow !

LowSky
July 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I love books, but buying an Ubuntu book is really tough as in less than months that 4th edition will be out dated by the release of 9.10

Dont get me wrong, I own the Ubuntu Hacks book, and many of the commands are still usefull but when it references a 3 year old distro or a setting has changed then it gets frustrating.

I will probably pick up a copy as I like having these things around.

Side note I really need to sell off some books I'm running out of shelf space.

matthew
July 10th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I see you're also co-author of an Oreilly Cookbook. Wow !
That one is nearly complete. We originally scheduled it for release in the middle of the fall, but we are working to try to finish it up sooner and see if we can't get it out a couple of months earlier.

Side note I really need to sell off some books I'm running out of shelf space.
That's when I buy more bookshelves. :) I've sold off some books, but for me, the ones that I am generally willing to part with are the ones no one wants to buy, and I end up wanting to keep all the others. :P

matthew
July 10th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Congrats on releasing it. Dunno if I'd really need it as the community documentation is already excellent.

It's always nice to see this stuff in Barnes and Noble, though.
I meant to comment on this and forgot. I totally agree, our community documentation is very good. The main goal of this book is to help people who don't have any idea where to start enter the Ubuntu world easily and painlessly, to assist people who know little to nothing but have some motivation to learn to get started successfully. It's a great book to show non-techy friends and family members.

betrunkenaffe
July 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I meant to comment on this and forgot. I totally agree, our community documentation is very good. The main goal of this book is to help people who don't have any idea where to start enter the Ubuntu world easily and painlessly, to assist people who know little to nothing but have some motivation to learn to get started successfully. It's a great book to show non-techy friends and family members.

It also showcases Ubuntu when someone is looking for something different to use (say when looking at getting a mac because windows has been annoying them)