PDA

View Full Version : I saw a 8" floppy disc at school today.

swoll1980
July 10th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I never knew they made them that big. It looked like a clown prop, or something. I also saw paper tape. They used to use accordion folded paper tape, with holes punched in them, to boot "micro" computers as big as refrigerators. It's wierd that this was only 30 something years ago.

philcamlin
July 10th, 2009, 04:53 AM
:|

8 inch :O

thats big :popcorn:

MaxIBoy
July 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Considering the fact that that's roughly double my lifespan, I sometimes catch myself being amazed they even had electricity back then.

gpsmikey
July 10th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I still have several boxes of double sided double density 8" floppies downstairs. They held up to 1.2 megabytes at double sided and double density. Still have the drives for them too as well as the rest of my old CP/M system - 2mhz Z-80. What the heck - still have a paper tape reader and model 28 teletype too !!

mikey

Bigtime_Scrub
July 10th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Those were new when I was a kid >:O

The "portable" computers were the size of a table and the Commodore 64 was the bomb diggity.

derekeverett
July 10th, 2009, 05:04 AM

The "portable" computers were the size of a table and the Commodore 64 was the bomb diggity.

load "*",8,1

cariboo
July 10th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I took my computer technician course at Control Data Institute, before it was split off from Control Data Corp (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Data_Corporation) when Synnergy bought the company. We used terminals connected to a Cyber-18, that was also used in many McGuyver episodes, as it was being filmed in Vancouver at the time.

Some of the course work was on 8" floppies. They were treated like gold at the time as the courseware hadn't been transfered to 5" or those new 3" floppies that were just becoming available. This was back in 1988, and they were just in the process of converting to IBM 286 clones, as I finished the course.

swoll1980
July 10th, 2009, 05:07 AM

The Commodore 64 was about 12 years after the 8" floppy disk came out in 1971.