PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson poll: Once and for all!

SPARTAN-118
July 10th, 2009, 03:54 AM
This poll will decide if Michael Jackson really was that big of a deal.

I'm only doing this for fun, not because I hate (or love) Michael Jackson, who is called by many "The King of Pop".

philcamlin
July 10th, 2009, 03:55 AM
my parents lieked his music but i think music wouldent be the same without him :popcorn:

Thirtysixway
July 10th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Where are the poll choices?

Yes he was a major deal. Best of the best, king of the kings.

philcamlin
July 10th, 2009, 03:58 AM
i dont care how creepy he was he was tthe best of the best

he changed the world

SPARTAN-118
July 10th, 2009, 03:59 AM
LOL i JUST posted this thread, already you guys are asking where the poll questions are!

I just put them up.

As for me, I liked him (overall), though I DID think he was kinda creepy...

RiceMonster
July 10th, 2009, 04:21 AM
He was weird and I don't like his music. Way too many people praise him simply because he's dead. I'm not changing my opinion on my him because of such a thing. There's musicians who deserve much more respect than he does.

BinaryFeast
July 10th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Liked some hits. That's it. What I find sad is how the media tried to sell him as a pedophile, and how the record companies will now be profiting on his work for longer than MJ ever got to live.

Kingsley
July 10th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Meh. The media and everyone else is obsessed with the Michael Jackson from 10-20 years ago. This poll won't be deciding anything.

chucky chuckaluck
July 10th, 2009, 05:24 AM
great talent, great singer when he was a kid. he was still a good singer as an adult, but he did a lot of odd things to his voice in an attempt to avoid dealing with the fact it had changed (things that really didn't work, i might add).
from a visual standpoint, i thought he was ridiculous to creepy (especially with that perversion of the curly shuffle. yuk!).
never really liked much of his stuff.

Eisenwinter
July 10th, 2009, 05:31 AM
He was weird and I don't like his music. Way too many people praise him simply because he's dead. I'm not changing my opinion on my him because of such a thing. There's musicians who deserve much more respect than he does.

+1.

You always say what I want to say.

;)

Danbo19
July 10th, 2009, 06:10 AM
There needs to be an option between, "none at all" and, "I liked his music but not him." I like some of his music, Bad, Beat it, Bille Jean... Also the Thriller album was undeniably popular and changed music. This will not stop me from making jokes at MJ's expense. (http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/8vwon/michael_jackson_jokes/)

halovivek
July 10th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I loved his music very much.

agel1
July 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM
him and his music are material and overrated

im not the only one ah ah ah ah

y6FgBn)~v
July 10th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I didn't know him personally so I don't know what kind of person he was. I do like a lot of his music though. I think he was an incredibly talented individual.

masux594
July 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM
750 millions of records.. This is more than a king!

Sysc, A

Grant A.
July 10th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I liked his music, and he seemed like a really nice guy, but the effects the plastic surgeries had on his face kinda scared me. I wonder what he would've looked like today if he'd never gotten them at all.

EDIT- Do you guys think that Neverland Ranch will be made into his "Graceland"? I'd like to go visit it if it does become some sort of museum.

JDShu
July 10th, 2009, 08:44 AM
He donated a lot of money to charity, I think he was a good guy.

pt123
July 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
The guy is a dirty old creep who should have been locked up.
But when you have that much money, you can buy justice.

Grant A.
July 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM
The guy is a dirty old creep who should have been locked up.
But when you have that much money, you can buy justice.

People could say that, but people could also say that Elvis was a lazy, old, creepy drug addict. Don't you agree that we should remember the dead for their accomplishments, rather than their faults?

To each his own, I suppose.

pt123
July 10th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Don't you agree that we should remember the dead for their accomplishments, rather than their faults?

Hell no I don't want to remember Hitler for anything good.

mister_k81
July 10th, 2009, 11:56 AM
As a performer, I think Michael was one of the best of his kind. He was an excellent singer with some amazing showmanship... though, I felt he was a bit average as a song writer. The man was a real born and bred musical entertainer, and the only times he didn't come off as being maladjusted and awkward (at least to me), was when he was on-stage performing. But, his later work became to contrived for my liking.

As a person... the guy seemed completely unstable and had some serious mental problems that probably stem all the way back to his childhood. He acted like a real life Willy Wonka, was addicted to plastic surgery and did questionable things. Yeah, he was creepy and a highly self destructive individual. Though I suppose, some of the best musicians through time were pretty self destructive... it goes with the territory. But none of them ever lived on the same plain of reality that Michael Jackson did.

but he did a lot of odd things to his voice in an attempt to avoid dealing with the fact it had changed (things that really didn't work, i might add).

Yeah, he really tried to drown out his voice in his later work, if you listen to it. It got to the point where it sounded like he was mumbling his lyrics. It makes me wonder if the rumours of him taking oestrogen were true, which would explain his behaviour in his later life.

Chilli Bob
July 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Just another washed-up pop nobody, on the same level as, say, Frankie Goes to Hollywood or Hall and Oates. I don't hate it exactly, but would never go out of my way to listen to it.

3rdalbum
July 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure he really influenced anyone... except for Justin Timberlake, but that's hardly a good thing.

I dislike his songs except Man In The Mirror, and even then I prefer The Idea Of North's version.

gn2
July 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I didn't like him or his music.

t0p
July 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Frankie Goes to Hollywood or Hall and Oates

You're showing your age there, Bob!

t0p
July 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I'm glad most of the Jackson fans in this thread seem to be able to differentiate between the man and the music. When the allegations of child molestation were first making their rounds, so many people refused to believe Jackson could be a paedophile simply because they liked his music! And more of this ridiculous belief-system is coming back now, because he is dead and so apparently is greater than great. King of Pop? Queen of Slops, more like!

Chilli Bob
July 10th, 2009, 12:58 PM
You're showing your age there, Bob!

Well, they were Jacksons contemporaries, more or less.

If I want to hide my age I guess I better not mention that I'm listening to Slade right now?

XubuRoxMySox
July 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM
When Farah Fawcett (Charlie's Angel) arrived in heaven, she asked the almighty for one small favor.

"Please, God," she asked, "make the world a little safer for the children."

Her prayer was answered that very day.

chucky chuckaluck
July 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, he really tried to drown out his voice in his later work, if you listen to it. It got to the point where it sounded like he was mumbling his lyrics. It makes me wonder if the rumours of him taking oestrogen were true, which would explain his behaviour in his later life.

if he were taking estrogen, it wouldn't have had any effect on the size of his larynx and the length of his vocal folds, so it would have been ineffective in reversing the growth he experienced during puberty. i'm sure he would know that and would've been taking estrogen for a different reason.

khelben1979
July 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
There is no option I can choose.

He made excellent music and was a great dancer.

Sand & Mercury
July 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Great musician, incredible performer and good person in general. He was a big activist and donated millions and millions to charities. I held these opinions before he was dead and still hold them now. People that believe all the BS child molestation allegations need to pull their heads out, it's quite obvious he did no such thing. Just gold diggers, hysterics and the vultures of the media machine, swooping in whenever the smell blood.

night_fox
July 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
OMG I CANT BELIEVE HES DEAD!

OMG I CANT BELIEVE HES STILL DEAD!

IT HAS TO BE AN INSURANCE SCAM

I THINK I SAW HIM IN TOWN THE OTHER DAY

only joking. Stupid disproportionate fuss about death of mediocre musician.

JDShu
July 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Invoking Godwin's Law. I apologize, can't help it :P

xpod
July 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I like MJ about as much as i like Garry Glitter.In fact,less!!
MJ managed an OJ at court so that makes him worse in my book.

SPARTAN-118
July 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM

LOL

The Ubuntu community is much less sensitive about these things than the Youtubers.

You people can speak your mind, and I appreciate that! :D

SPARTAN-118
July 10th, 2009, 06:45 PM
There needs to be an option between, "none at all" and, "I liked his music but not him." I like some of his music, Bad, Beat it, Bille Jean... Also the Thriller album was undeniably popular and changed music. This will not stop me from making jokes at MJ's expense. (http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/8vwon/michael_jackson_jokes/)

I can't seem to find the "edit poll options".

When I find 'em I'll be sure to add a 5th option for you.

SPARTAN-118

RiceMonster
July 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
LOL

The Ubuntu community is much less sensitive about these things than the Youtubers.

You people can speak your mind, and I appreciate that! :D

Well, youtube commenters have a collective IQ of about 13.

SPARTAN-118
July 10th, 2009, 06:55 PM

So true, though, at times, I believe it is even less.

Individually, people there can have it as low as 0.013.

Perhaps it is because there are restrictions here, like the blockage of mature language, and references to adult content, that help people to smarten up, and make more mature comments.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad it's there.

SPARTAN-118

Tipped OuT
July 10th, 2009, 07:09 PM

Yes, and you guys are the smartest all knowing human beings on earth. What makes you any different? Because you use Linux? :rolleyes:

RiceMonster
July 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Yes, and you guys are the smartest all knowing human beings on earth. What makes you any different? Because you use Linux? :rolleyes:

Right, because I view youtube comments as stupid, I assert myself as the smartest person on earth. Ok.

My post wasn't meant to be "Ubuntu Forums vs. Youtube". Give me a break.

SPARTAN-118
July 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Right, because I view youtube comments as stupid, I assert myself as the smartest person on earth. Ok.

My post wasn't meant to be "Ubuntu Forums vs. Youtube". Give me a break.

Hey, hey, let's not get all riled up here.

People on Youtube generally make immature comments that don't do anything to boost their public image.

Let's leave it at that.

Also, did you not notice the :rolleyes: smiley at the end of their post?

tcoffeep
July 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I can't help but dance to MJ's tracks.

Which makes me look like an idiot when noone else is around <_<

jenkinbr
July 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
He was just another human to walk the earth.

He passed away. So will everyone else. Elvis died too. Let's just get over it before I puke.+

As far as him, there was nothing special.

SPARTAN-118
July 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
He was just another human to walk the earth.

He passed away. So will everyone else. Elvis died too. Let's just get over it before I puke.+

As far as him, there was nothing special.

Oui.

Nice avatar, btw.
Firefox owns Internet Explorer, especially Firefox 3.5! :D

lisati
July 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I like some of MJ's work. I'm not very familiar with the more recent stuff, so a comment on that might be unwarranted. In the stuff I've seen and heard there's no denying that there's some degree of talent, but I do find the "squeals" in some songs annoying.

Like most people, MJ had issues to face, and like most people in the limelight he would have had to face his share of unmitigated nonsense.

One commentator I heard recently joked that MJ wanted to get out of the planned tour, and decided to do something about it which apparently worked.

vishzilla
July 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I only loved his songs. As a person, he was a freak IMO

Tipped OuT
July 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Hey, hey, let's not get all riled up here.

People on Youtube generally make immature comments that don't do anything to boost their public image.

Let's leave it at that.

Also, did you not notice the :rolleyes: smiley at the end of their post?

Haha, it's okay, we're all just friends here. Some people get upset over the stupidest things but that's life for you.

koshatnik
July 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Will it? I'm impressed.

hanzomon4
July 11th, 2009, 12:12 AM

I'm only doing this for fun, not because I hate (or love) Michael Jackson, who is called by many "The King of Pop".

Polling a group of self righteous, hateful, ignorant know-it-alls is the worst way of deciding something thats not even open for debate. His career answers that question and it don't end with the moon walk.

AntiHeroUK
July 11th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Whilst he was an odd fellow he did produce some spectacular music, but the amount of hype over his death is way ott, after all he is just another human being like the rest of us..

arcdrag
July 11th, 2009, 12:55 AM
A month ago Michael Jackson was a creepy white female child molester. A month later he's the greatest black male entertainer in history. Weird how quickly things change.

marios_gatos
July 11th, 2009, 01:02 AM
i dont think he was someone important...didnt you see what he did to himself or hanging babies from the balcony for publicity???and about his music...he's done nothing with quality...all the songs were forgotten after a year they were published...my oppinion...

hanzomon4
July 11th, 2009, 01:42 AM
i dont think he was someone important...didnt you see what he did to himself or hanging babies from the balcony for publicity???and about his music...he's done nothing with quality...all the songs were forgotten after a year they were published...my oppinion...

Are you delusional!?!?! or 2?

dragos240
July 11th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I don't even have an opinion.

starcannon
July 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Liked his music, didn't care one way or the other about him (I never knew him)
He was never convicted of a crime (innocent until proven guilty, its one of the cornerstones of the U.S.)
He's dead; so, even if you don't like him, even if you thought he was guilty of some heinous crime, what more can you ask?
Speaking of dead; last I checked, it was in poor taste too speak ill of the dead.

I wasn't going to post about MJ; but, I thought I'd put in my 2 bits. I know that I'd sure like to think that if I were accused of a crime, and found innocent, that people would not make me into a pariah, cast me out, bad mouth me, and spit on my grave.

R.I.P. Michael Jackson

Peace

SPARTAN-118
July 11th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Thank you all for your postings and voting (or is it voting and postings?).

Like I said earlier, I created this thread for fun purposes only.

I will not approve of fighting, trash talking, etc.

Having said that, please do not put down/flame other members, even if you are just calling them a 2-year-old, hanzomon4.

Thank you,
SPARTAN-118