PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dualboot installation. Issue with partition

hhhmmm
July 10th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hello all.

I am very new to Ubuntu or Linux in general. I thought I'd give it a try but am having problems during the install. Any help is appreciated.

I'm trying to dualboot Ubuntu with XP.

I have run the Installer from the CD & restarted. I get to %5 when its working on the partition but it stopped. the window says "creating ext3 file system for / in partition #1 of loopback". It will just stay at 5%, I left it overnight (around 7hrs) & it was still at the same spot.

I then tried installing from the liveCD. I choose the "along side XP" option & slide the partition size to around 18GB (the auto installer was choosing around 17.5). It would start the "resizing partition" but would stay on 0% for about 10mins & then I get "An error occurred while writing to storage device. The resize option has been aborted".
I then have the option to Prepare Partition my self but I'm not sure what to do.

I downloaded the Wubi-Installer & tried but got error again for ext3 when its trying to partition.

I ran the CD check & it came back good.

Is there something I can do to solve this so the auto installer can work or do I have ot manually partition the drives when it gives me the option when trying from the LiveCD. If so, how do I do that.

I was hoping this would be simple. Thank again for any help.

merlinus
July 10th, 2009, 02:43 AM
If you are wanting to shrink the xp partition whilst installing, make sure to delete temp and other unneeded files and defrag it several times first. That may be the problem...

hhhmmm
July 10th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I just did a format/install of XP about 2weeks ago & I defragged once.

merlinus
July 10th, 2009, 02:59 AM
You might run checksums on your downloaded .iso files:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

If they check out, make sure you burn them at no more than 4x speed.

hhhmmm
July 10th, 2009, 04:27 AM
The did check out.

I ran the installer off the CD & I also tried after downloading the wubi-installer.

hhhmmm
July 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM
any other suggestions?