PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wordstar-like Editor

Vegan
July 10th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Is there a Wordstar like editor in the repository? I remember that editor was useful with DOS.

kustomjs
July 10th, 2009, 03:40 AM
that would be nano under linux format if I do believe correct me if im wrong here.

HermanAB
July 10th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Joe's own editor (joe) has Wordstar key bindings.

tgalati4
July 10th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Wordstar was a decent editor in 1984. I still remember the hot keys!

randyks
July 12th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Joe's own editor (joe) has Wordstar key bindings.

Is that the jstar command? jstar is the only editor I use. It was the easiest for me when I fist started.

loell
July 12th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I didn't get to use wordstar back then. but most of us who'd seen it, wished that editing should have remained that simple. :D

apt-cache search wordstar
e3 - A very small editor
joe - user friendly full screen text editor

Mocker
July 12th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Is that the jstar command? jstar is the only editor I use. It was the easiest for me when I fist started.

Yes. It's an alias for Joe that starts it in Wordstar-compatibility mode. Joe has several other aliases like that, such as jmacs (emacs emulation) and jpico (pico emulation).

HermanAB
July 12th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Yup, Wordstar goes back a ways. Greek Wordstar key bindings were engraved on the back of the Antikythera Mechanism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism). It was also reported to execute on an Abacus discovered in the grave of Tutankhamun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutankhamun)., while some lawyers opine that Julius and Gaius Caesar composed their legal documents with either Wordstar or Wordperfect, but the jury is still out on that.

lykwydchykyn
July 12th, 2009, 04:47 AM
while some lawyers opine that Julius and Gaius Caesar composed their legal documents with either Wordstar or Wordperfect, but the jury is still out on that.

new evidence suggests it was PFS-write.

Vegan
July 12th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I wonder if whoever owns Wordstar would ever decide to go open-source?

windependence
July 13th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Although I use nano most of the time, you should be aware that you can only count on VI being installed on almost any Linux or Unix variant, so it would be a great idea to at least be able to edit a simple file with it in case of an emergency. It won't kill you.

-Tim

Vegan
October 3rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
I think that nano has found it way onto a lot of distributions. It even works on a Cray.

I just liked the word-star for its ability to quickly edit text.

For example if I need to edit some config file such as samba, nano is hard for me to use as it seems to not like telnet sessions so much.

HermanAB
October 4th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I always install joe on a new machine, but gedit runs fine over ssh.

Vegan
October 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM
My Terminal Client runs on Windows, and its called tera Term which is a free program that somebody wrote a few years ago. Its VT102 to VT320 capable. I use VT102 as TELNET seems to be unable to support the Vt320.

ConXtionS
October 4th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Heck I thought I was the only one old enough to know what wordstar even was

fjgaude
October 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
WordStar was the editor for CP/M... later came NewWord... and then CP/M went away... used both from 1981 through about 1988.

I like nano as a simple editor now days.

cariboo
October 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I remember using Wordstar on DOS, and I may be wrong, but I seem to recall there was an ProDOS version too.

Vegan
October 5th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I remember using Wordstar on DOS, and I may be wrong, but I seem to recall there was an ProDOS version too.

I have used the CP/M and PC-DOS version of Wordstar. I has one of the original IBM PC's with the BIOS that needed to be replaced to use the EGA and VGA cards. That machine had originally the MDA but I bought a Hercules card as it supported graphics and had a printer port.

I had one of the Radio Shack TRS-80 machines that I used for word processing while I wrote programs in BASIC A for the PC.

It was not until after I bought the PC AT did Wordstar finally surface for PC-DOS.

Later I switched to WordPerfect which became the most popular tool for PC-DOS.