PDA

View Full Version : How many people here use dvorak?

BslBryan
July 10th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Just curious. I've never felt the need to learn, but I'd like to test out the common dvorak user's claim that it is faster and more efficient, and that since QWERTY was built to slow typing down, it still does.

I'm in the process of dismantling a Saitek Eclipse backlit to rearrange the keys to fit the needs of the dvorak, and while kind of geeky, I'm looking forward to it. :-)

JillSwift
July 10th, 2009, 02:19 AM
since QWERTY was built to slow typing down
Apocryphal.

http://www.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html

BslBryan
July 10th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the link. Just pointing out again, though, that what I posted was not my claim, but the common dvorak user's. ;)

NovaAesa
July 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Dvorak represent =] I've been using for about a year now, glad I made the change.

QWERTY wasn't designed to slow a typist down, but to rather stop keys from jamming. We all know that computer keys can't jam though :P

tjwoosta
July 10th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I tried learning dvorak but It turned out to be too much of a hassle. It would be great theoretically, the problem is whenever you need to use somebody else's computer you suck at typing qwerty again and look like an idiot.

Dr Small
July 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Dvorak represent =] I've been using for about a year now, glad I made the change.

QWERTY wasn't designed to slow a typist down, but to rather stop keys from jamming. We all know that computer keys can't jam though :P
Hey there NovaAesa! =)

I'm a Dvorak user, and have been for about 2 years. Nothing beats Dvorak =)

JillSwift
July 10th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the link. Just pointing out again, though, that what I posted was not my claim, but the common dvorak user's. ;)
Oops, sorry. :( Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I just wanted to point out it's a sham claim.

Dvorak has some real pluses, I don't get why the "Dvorak Evangelicals" need the apocrypha.

I use Qwerty, but only because I am far, far too lazy to bother to learn to use a Dvorak keyboard. :)

Eisenwinter
July 10th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I used Dvorak for a few days before switching back to qwerty. It's really not worth learning it unless you type a LOT.

Though, that layout really does make sense, when you look at it.

OutOfReach
July 10th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I started learning dvorak, but suddenly stopped because I had to heavily rely on the computer for school work, I will continue learning dvorak in another month or so.

koleoptero
July 10th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I tried learning dvorak but It turned out to be too much of a hassle. It would be great theoretically, the problem is whenever you need to use somebody else's computer you suck at typing qwerty again and look like an idiot.

This. :popcorn:

BslBryan
July 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
...the problem is whenever you need to use somebody else's computer you suck at typing qwerty again and look like an idiot.

Yeah, I understand. I'm trying to learn Dvorak, but I'm not going to forget QWERTY. I'd like to be bilingual, if you know what I mean. ;-)

Oops, sorry. :( Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I just wanted to point out it's a sham claim.

No worries, JillSwift. :-)

Also, for anyone who may be wanting to create their own Dvorak setup, do not look into a Saitek model here. Dismantled 2 keyboards to see that for no apparent reason the home keys of F and J had different holes than every other key on the keyboard.

In the end, I kept one Saitek the way it was (I can poke a screwdriver into one of the 4 empty holes whenever I need them! :roll:) and reverted the Eclipse 2 back to QWERTY.

I changed around the keys on my laptop, when all was said and done.

gohmifune
July 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I've been a dvorak user for a few years, and for me there is a noticeable difference. It is more comfortable, and more accurate in my experience. I also seem to type faster than I did slightly.

It took maybe a month for muscle memory to kick in, but also, while I don't type swiftly in qwerty, I can still type without having to do too much hunting and pecking.

It is worth a switch.

Bungo Pony
July 11th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Also, for anyone who may be wanting to create their own Dvorak setup, do not look into a Saitek model here.

Find yourself a good ol' IBM Model M keyboard. The key caps pop off easily, and you can re-arrange them any way you want. I bought mine for $3 at a thrift store.

EdThaSlayer
July 11th, 2009, 06:55 AM

Weird. Well, theoretically that is possible but usually most people who switch to Dvorak still are semi-fluent in the wristbending qwerty keyboard layout. Like me, for example. :p

PurposeOfReason
July 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I learned it, got to my old speed with it, and left it. It wasn't worth the trouble of vim keybinds being messed up and having trouble with other keyboards.

McNils
July 11th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I learned it, got to my old speed with it, and left it. It wasn't worth the trouble of vim keybinds being messed up and having trouble with other keyboards.

I had an extra year to get my emacs commands up to speed. For me the extra effort was worth it.

BslBryan
July 12th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Well, after a day with dvorak, I am typing rather slowly. It's nice, though, that I am progressing so quickly.

Can't wait until I am used to it. I've clocked my QWERTY wpm at a little under 100, and I'm eager to compare it to a dvorak speed. :-)