PDA

View Full Version : South Korean virus set to destroys thousands of Windows PCs

monsterstack
July 10th, 2009, 12:14 AM
If this article (http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/tech-news/south-korean-virus-set-to-destroys-thousands-of-windows-pcs_100215879.html) [thaiindian.com] is to be believed, that is:

At the same time the Korea Communications Commission (KCC) said it has been notified by South Korean computer vaccine company Ahn Lab that the DDoS virus responsible for initiating the attacks, was set to destroy at least 20,000 contaminated PCs across the nation.

The report said the virus has been programmed to automatically destroy the computer’s stored data starting Friday, though the virus was not identified or any protection remedies provided.

Sucks to be them.

Edit. More coverage here:

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/09/AR2009070901106.html?hpid=sec-world).
Thai Indian (earlier article) (http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/sci-tech/tens-of-thousands-of-south-korean-computers-set-to-self-destruct-on-friday_100215873.html).
Christian Science Monitor (http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/07/09/south-korea-again-hit-by-cyber-attacks-as-search-for-hackers-intensifies/).
VOA news (http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-07-09-voa18.cfm).
Associated Press article (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iIGUO03iG9hZJHrt6FExNNFevi-AD99B71Q80).

sydbat
July 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Yet another reason I only use GNU/Linux...

Trueno22
July 10th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I personally would love to see more than just 20k go down. If enough PC's go down maybe people will give linux a try.

Most of the people I am unable to convert I fail to do so because they can;t live without Yahoo Messenger. Yes there is Pidgin, but pidgin doesn't support video, nor the YIM photosharing.

monsterstack
July 10th, 2009, 12:21 AM
More coverage:

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/09/AR2009070901106.html?hpid=sec-world).
Thai Indian (earlier article) (http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/sci-tech/tens-of-thousands-of-south-korean-computers-set-to-self-destruct-on-friday_100215873.html).
Christian Science Monitor (http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/07/09/south-korea-again-hit-by-cyber-attacks-as-search-for-hackers-intensifies/).
VOA news (http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-07-09-voa18.cfm).
Associated Press article (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iIGUO03iG9hZJHrt6FExNNFevi-AD99B71Q80).

sydbat
July 10th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Interesting that the Washington Post article doesn't mention Windows or Microsoft at all...

EDIT - Actually, none of the US articles you linked mention Windows or Microsoft...interesting...

Viva
July 10th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Interesting that the Washington Post article doesn't mention Windows or Microsoft at all...

To be fair to them, they don't have to mention it.

sydbat
July 10th, 2009, 12:29 AM
To be fair to them, they don't have to mention it.True enough, but then it becomes misinformation by withholding pertinent facts. So, beyond the misleading nature of the US articles...I guess you are correct.

Viva
July 10th, 2009, 12:31 AM
True enough, but then it becomes misinformation by withholding pertinent facts. So, beyond the misleading nature of the US articles...I guess you are correct.

I meant that they don't NEED to mention it because it is so obvious.

sydbat
July 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I meant that they don't NEED to mention it because it is so obvious.That actually makes it even funnier!:D

Or scarier.

Now I'm confused...

Jeruvy
July 10th, 2009, 12:38 AM
True enough, but then it becomes misinformation by withholding pertinent facts. So, beyond the misleading nature of the US articles...I guess you are correct.

All I got from the Washington Post was a 'DDoS' attack which typically isn't platform dependent, simply domain dependent.

A list of sites affected may lead more clues, but we may have to wait until the IR's post about it.

(IR = Incident Responders)

Cheers.

HappyFeet
July 10th, 2009, 12:40 AM
South Korean virus set to destroys thousands of Windows PCs

Good.

calrogman
July 10th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Oh, and I forgot to say this.
LOL

MY EYES!

Please use attachments.

monsterstack
July 10th, 2009, 01:09 AM
MY EYES!

Please use attachments.

You're absolutely right. Here it is in non-killer form.

ubudog
July 10th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Just another reason not to use windows.

dragos240
July 10th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Funny. Good job [Insert name of virus creator]!

ubudog
July 10th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Sucks for windows users.

Regenweald
July 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I personally would love to see more than just 20k go down. If enough PC's go down maybe people will give linux a try.

Most of the people I am unable to convert I fail to do so because they can;t live without Yahoo Messenger. Yes there is Pidgin, but pidgin doesn't support video, nor the YIM photosharing.

People store all kinds of important data on their machines, family photos, finances etc. You are saying that they deserve to loose all that because they are not savy enough to install or are simply aware of Linux ?

Many persons view a pc as an appliance, simply a means to an end and pc know-how is not the central driving force in their lives. They do not deserve to loose all their data because of that.

Selfishness and stupidity are spreading like wildfire across the internet.

MaxIBoy
July 10th, 2009, 01:43 AM
According to the article, they won't be destroyed. The hard drives will simply be reformatted.

Way to spread misinformation, media! Now we'll get another 20,000 computers' worth of mercury in our landfills!

Viva
July 10th, 2009, 01:44 AM
people store all kinds of important data on their machines, family photos, finances etc. You are saying that they deserve to loose all that because they are not savy enough to install or are simply aware of linux ?

Many persons view a pc as an appliance, simply a means to an end and pc know-how is not the central driving force in their lives. They do not deserve to loose all their data because of that.

+1

monsterstack
July 10th, 2009, 01:51 AM
People store all kinds of important data on their machines, family photos, finances etc. You are saying that they deserve to loose all that because they are not savy enough to install or are simply aware of Linux ?

No one deserves that. The onus is on Microsoft for creating a busted operating system in the first place. People need to be more aware of how vulnerable their data can be when they are connected to the internet. A high-profile attack such as this will help raise awareness of this issue. It isn't a tired old Linux vs Windows debate. It's a very real issue that affects millions of people all over the world.

JillSwift
July 10th, 2009, 02:13 AM
According to the article, they won't be destroyed. The hard drives will simply be reformatted.

Way to spread misinformation, media! Now we'll get another 20,000 computers' worth of mercury in our landfills!
You see disaster, I see opportunity.

My planned ad in the paper: "Will recycle your North Korean Virus destroyed computer for free!"
Then I'll recycle them by installing Ubuntu and using them m'self.

:D

Regenweald
July 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
No one deserves that. The onus is on Microsoft for creating a busted operating system in the first place. People need to be more aware of how vulnerable their data can be when they are connected to the internet. A high-profile attack such as this will help raise awareness of this issue. It isn't a tired old Linux vs Windows debate. It's a very real issue that affects millions of people all over the world.

I agree with you. Microsoft fails at a fundamental level in providing a secure work environment for the consumer.Period. but that is the company, a HUGE company. 20,000 licenses get burnt, no biggie.

I live in a third world country, here there is win and mac period. I see poor parents sacrificing to buy a laptop for their child to help with college studies, I see elderly persons using government pensions to purchase a computer to get up to the times, teach themselves something, stay in contact with relatives abroad.
These are the most vulnerable to virus threats and ideas like storage, internet protocols etc. will not come easy to them. They don't deserve to be punished because Microsoft has despicable business practices and a are a marketing beast.

It is really pitiful when news of a virus pops up and you see linux forum members chime in about how great it is or go so far as to congratulate virus creators, the dregs of society. It really solidifies the linux basement dweller stereotype. Viruses are a plague of windows and hve been for years, i do not see microsoft slowing down in any way. It's people like you and me on the front lines around the world who are being hurt.

I've been infractioned for saying this to a member before, but people in here desperately need to grow up.(not aimed at you monsterstack :))

It irks me that my intellect led me to search out an alternative and find the FOSS world and that that would give me common ground with someone who would condone an individual unleashing malicious code or even pat them on the back.

Sealbhach
July 10th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I've been infractioned for saying this to a member before, but people in here desperately need to grow up.(not aimed at you monsterstack :))

A lot of forum members are quite young, 14 years and under. It's unfair to ask them to grow up.

There's an old Irish saying - mol an óige agus tioicfaidh sí (praise the young and they will flourish).

Be patient with them, as people were patient with you.;)

monsterstack
July 10th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I agree with you. Microsoft fails at a fundamental level in providing a secure work environment for the consumer.Period. but that is the company, a HUGE company. 20,000 licenses get burnt, no biggie.

I live in a third world country, here there is win and mac period. I see poor parents sacrificing to buy a laptop for their child to help with college studies, I see elderly persons using government pensions to purchase a computer to get up to the times, teach themselves something, stay in contact with relatives abroad.
These are the most vulnerable to virus threats and ideas like storage, internet protocols etc. will not come easy to them. They don't deserve to be punished because Microsoft has despicable business practices and a are a marketing beast.

It is really pitiful when news of a virus pops up and you see linux forum members chime in about how great it is or go so far as to congratulate virus creators, the dregs of society. It really solidifies the linux basement dweller stereotype. Viruses are a plague of windows and hve been for years, i do not see microsoft slowing down in any way. It's people like you and me on the front lines around the world who are being hurt.

It irks me that my intellect led me to search out an alternative and find the FOSS world and that that would give me common ground with someone who would condone an individual unleashing malicious code or even pat them on the back.

You raise an interesting point. I mean, one one level I am smug when I hear of reports such as this one. It's part of the "I told you so" mentality. People like to feel vindicated for their decisions, after all. Just look at the number of "I'm glad I use Linux" comments here and in other threads about Windows vulnerabilities. There is always an element of childishness and gloating when these thread arise--take my LOL picture for example. Still, anyone who thinks they're above schadenfreude is probably kidding themselves. Everyone has laughed at the misfortunes of others at least once in their lives. Entire communities haven been built on this concept alone (4chan, somethingawful, etc). That isn't a defence of such behaviour. I think we should try to avoid that sort of thing whenever possible. But it's important that we recognise that it is a part of human nature, however distasteful it may be.

There is a role to be played by people who write malicious code. White-hat hackers who make proof-of-concept exploits are very important, even in the Linux community. If they don't raise awareness of vulnerabilities so that they can be fixed, then the black hats will go right ahead and exploit them. As is the case here, unfortunately. Either way, though, it means things get fixed in the long run.

Regenweald
July 10th, 2009, 02:44 AM
A lot of forum members are quite young, 14 years and under. It's unfair to ask them to grow up.

There's an old Irish saying - mol an óige agus tioicfaidh sí (praise the young and they will flourish).

Be patient with them, as people were patient with you.;)

Indeed, and for a second time, my apologies to all. Enjoy your youth thoroughly feel free to add a pinch of maturity or thoughtfullness every now and then. Thanks for the reminder Sealbach.

@Monsterstack, whitehats i love. very grateful to them always...

CharmyBee
July 10th, 2009, 02:44 AM
South Korean virus set to destroys thousands of Windows PCs

Good.

Pretty cold to believe innocent users of other operating systems deserves their data trashed in your favor.

elliotn
July 10th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Let people jump to linux by choice, if linux does a good job then we dont need a VIRUS to convert em to linux, yet in a long run some crazy MS programmer might crack linux and create a deadly worm that will catch us chillin in our sofas as we boost being safe. By the way whoever create such viruses what do they benefit?

Mmm maybe anti-virus vendors are the one coding viruses:$

Meaning they create one so u can purchase the av $:-D

papangul
July 10th, 2009, 05:11 AM
What happened to Gayachi?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=773802

HappyFeet
July 10th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Pretty cold to believe innocent users of other operating systems deserves their data trashed in your favor.

How is it in my favor? I was just bored and chimed in. I personally don't give a crap. Do yourself a favor and be quiet.

philcamlin
July 10th, 2009, 05:21 AM
ubuntu ftw :)

koleoptero
July 10th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Way more than 20k go down every day cause of viruses, worms, malware, and bad users, and then they reformat their PCs or buy new ones with windows again. Microsoft's OSes were virus prone for more than two decades now and they still have the largest piece of the pie. Almost all of the pie that is.

Well put.