PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] weird desktop graphics problem

dannyboy79
July 9th, 2009, 07:14 PM
i don't know what's going on. I have a 1280x1024 desktop on screen 0 and a 1024x768 on screen 1. My main screen has a weird bar down the right side. I have run nvidia-settings multiple times, and tried to adjust my monitor but it won't go away. It happened after I tried to setup compiz and then realized that with my 2 x screens, I can't accomplish compiz. Can someone help me troubleshoot the problem? Here's a screen grab. I have a Mythbuntu theme and the main Jaunty Desktop background picture. I am running a Nvidia 6200 128mb memory with Nvidia 180 driver.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/442/weirddesktopissue.png (http://img127.imageshack.us/my.php?image=weirddesktopissue.png)

rainwalker
July 9th, 2009, 11:18 PM
What happens if you change the background on your top and bottom panels?

dannyboy79
July 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM
What happens if you change the background on your top and bottom panels?

by merely changing the backgrounds color on the top and bottom panel nothing is affected. I have tried changing the desktop background picture and that doesn't fix it either. It's a very strange problem. It's like the top and bottom panel know that the area should be 1280x1024 but the desktop pic doesn't know any better? Also, my conky is getting cut off. Any help would be appreciated.

gradinaruvasile
July 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Do u have a vertical panel on the right side?

dannyboy79
July 11th, 2009, 02:38 PM

HAH, that was it. It didn't look like a panel so I never bothered clicking on it to try to delete it. I don't even know how it got created? Anyway, I can't believe how stupid that was. It's great to come here and get help despite how trivial it may seem. Sometimes it's just good to have others think of things because I am thinking it's way more complicated than it really is. THANKS!

dannyboy79
July 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM

HAH, that was it. It didn't look like a panel so I never bothered clicking on it to try to delete it. I don't even know how it got created? Anyway, I can't believe how stupid that was. It's great to come here and get help despite how trivial it may seem. Sometimes it's just good to have others think of things because I am thinking it's way more complicated than it really is. THANKS!

rocketflame
July 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM
It happened after I tried to setup compiz and then realized that with my 2 x screens, I can't accomplish compiz

I have 2 monitors, i can still run compiz fine

did you try

sudo apt-get install simple-ccsm