PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: add debian menu to custom FVWM config

stateq2
January 22nd, 2005, 02:05 AM
This is for FVWM users who have a custom .fvwm2rc file, and want to add the debian auto menu to it.

right before the first "DestroyMenu" entry for the root menu, put insert this text:

Read /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook Quiet
Read menudefs.hook Quiet

then, somewhere in the main root menu area (the place where you add the main popup menus and stuff), insert this

+ "Debian" Popup "/Debian"

restart fvwm, and you should have a new entry in your menu named "Debian", which contains all of the menu enabled software.

Tichondrius
January 22nd, 2005, 05:45 AM
why use primitive window manager, possibly with kudged add-ons, when you have an integrated desktop manager such as gnome ?

stateq2
January 22nd, 2005, 07:45 AM
why use primitive window manager, possibly with kudged add-ons, when you have an integrated desktop manager such as gnome ?

I don't know....personally, over time, I've customized a .fvwm2rc config file to my liking....and I figured it would be nice if I could also use the debian menu w/ it. if no one else finds it useful....oh well 8)

az
January 22nd, 2005, 01:53 PM
"f no one else finds it useful....oh well"

I think it is a great suggestion. Many people need a quicker and simpler window manager for their desktop. How would you compare FVWM with working menus to icewm of XFCE?

eNiNjA
January 22nd, 2005, 02:05 PM

wowee, and i put blackbox on my first ubuntu install, shame on me!

nice work stateq2

jpkotta
September 23rd, 2005, 06:26 AM
Why use a bloated desktop environment when a capable window manager is all that I need? I use Linux because I have choices, and I choose fvwm. Seriously, this comment is completely off topic.

Anyway, I like to use the latest fvwm, and that means building from source. There's probably a way to easily generate a .deb file, but I don't know it. I (and you too) can still use the debian menu, no problem. Just add this to your ~/.fvwm/config:

DestroyFunc UpdateDebianMenu
AddToFunc UpdateDebianMenu
+ I Exec test -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/DebianMenu \
&& /bin/rm -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/DebianMenu
+ I PipeRead 'update-menus --menumethod $[FVWM_SCRIPTDIR]/fvwm.menu-method >/dev/null'
+ I Read DebianMenu

UpdateDebianMenu
The menu-method file is in the debian directory in the fvwm source tree. Also note that you need to install the "menu" package.

jpkotta
February 25th, 2008, 07:25 AM
My above post is outdated. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FVWM.