PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can i test or simulate a package installation?

malarie
July 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Good day,

I have Hardy LTS installed with subversion 1.4.6. I would like to use subversion 1.5.2 but i am not sure how to verify all the dependencies..

I have downloaded the subversion_1.5.4dfsg1-1ubuntu2_i386.deb package, but when i try to:

root@malarie-laptop:~# dpkg -i --dry-run subversion_1.5.4dfsg1-1ubuntu2_i386.deb

i have the following output that does not help me much:

(Reading database ... 245205 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace subversion 1.5.4dfsg1-1ubuntu2 (using subversion_1.5.4dfsg1-1ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...

I just want to install a new version of subversion on hardy LTS without having to upgrade my disrto to jaunty..

I want to test and verify all dependencies before installing it..

Anybody have a clue?

thanks.

MScapee
July 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Disclaimer: Having just recently escaped from M$ prison, I'm an ultra noob so take anything I suggest with a grain of salt (a cup of salt might be better...).

I'm not sure if this even amounts to much of a clue but assuming that you can boot under a live CD version of Hardy, perhaps you can test your install of subversion under the live CD? Just a thought... Good luck!

malarie
July 9th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for your reply. It pointed me into a good direction.. I will simply create a jaunty vm anc test it there :)