PDA

View Full Version : How to get a GTK liststore selected item position as an integer?

resander
July 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
My application written years ago for Windows needs an integer. It cannot use GtkTreeIters.

For example, I need index 1 to be returned for the selected item below:

red
green <<< selected
blue

There is a function gtk_tree_selection_get_selected that returns the treeiter for currently selected item in single-select mode. In multi-select mode there is a callback function GtkTreeSelectionForeachFunc that also provides a treeiter for selected items. But how do I convert this treeiter to an integer?

A very inefficient way would be to visit all rows and check which are selected and return the integer row indexes.

I have seen a function gtk_tree_selection_get_user_data() that returns userdata for a selected row. I could store row indexes as userdata, 0 for the first row, 1 for the second and thus be able to get the integer index I want for selected rows, but I don't know how to set userdata for listrows. How?

Or are there better ways?

MadCow108
July 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM
edit: I somehow assumed gtkmm. but maybe its also applicable to other gtk bindings

use the get_path(iterator) method of the tree model to get the path from the iterator.
the path can return the row number as a string or an integer array with
to_string and get_indices

you could also add a hidden column with the row number and just read that the usual way. That way the number would stay the same if you allow sorting of the view

resander
July 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks a lot!

After some fumbling I managed to get single-select mode working (or at least it is giving the right values for the test cases I tried):

int getsingleselect ( GtkTreeView * tv )
{
GtkTreeSelection * tsel = gtk_tree_view_get_selection (tv);
GtkTreeIter iter ;
GtkTreeModel * tm ;
GtkTreePath * path ;
int * i ;
if ( gtk_tree_selection_get_selected ( tsel , &tm , &iter ) )
{
path = gtk_tree_model_get_path ( tm , &iter ) ;
i = gtk_tree_path_get_indices ( path ) ;
return i [ 0 ] ;
}
return -1;
}

Again many thanks